Pete changes his stance yet again!

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of 'super sopranos' or 'super concerts' but this si what happened yesterday in the workshop:

Pete has a brain wave...
As Thomas-Georg and Oliver were preparing their ukulele bodies for binding, Tom temporarily fitted a tenor neck to one of their lovely concerts. We all went, like "Wow!" after which Tom said, "It looks like a medieval instrument..." At which point I took a further look and I felt the room moving.... Helen and I adore that period for its music, Romance and fairy-tale like culture and so on impulse I reselected a Ditson concert pile I had set aside as a speculative build and made a 15 fret tenor neck (needs this extra long neck to get the bridge placement right) so we can build a 'super concert' as our 'fun' instrument for Cheltenham. More on this later today. I am officially EXCITED!
Facebook entry

I discovered long necks a while ago, there's just something about them. :)

I started with a Kala KA-SLNG, which has been joined by an Ohana SK30L & a CK35L.

There's nothing wrong with having firm ideas about the form and or build of something if they are based on logic, research and experience. There's a lot right with setting all that to one side from time to time and trying something new to see whether it works for you or someone else.

Long neck instruments have there's advantages, just the same as any other form, and I look forward to seeing pictures of the final build, etc.

Top Bottom