6-string uke VS 8-string uke?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am inclined to buy yet another uke (I have several). My guitar guy recommended a 6-string -- not a guilele but a uke with doubles on 1st & 3rd strings. BUT I already own an excellent 8-string -- it's my main go-to compadre.

Ergo, I am wondering why I should get a 6-stringer. I almost always buy from Mim, via Ebay, so I can't do a comparison on my own. Thus I would greatly appreciate any comments as to why it would or wouldn't make sense to own both a 6-stringer AND an 8-stringer. I mean --wouldn't a 6-stringer just sound like a gelded 8-stringer?

I don't want to offend my guitar guy by not taking his advice, unless I can get some good reasons.

Any comments would be a blessing.

I have both, an Oscar Schmidt 8-string and a Lanikai 6-string. Both have had modifications and customized setup. I have the 8-string tuned cC-gG-dD-aA and the 6-string c-dD-g-aA.

The 6-string is more guitar-like playing-wise. Also, the 6-string is a bit smoother to pick. I use the 6-string for R&R, Gulf & Western, and even some Motown. If one is mainly a strummer than picker, then a 6-string may not get much playing time.

Last edited:
I have both, an Oscar Schmidt 8-string and a Lanikai 6-string. Both have had modifications and customized setup. I have the 8-string tuned cC-gG-dD-aA and the 6-string c-dD-g-aA.

The 6-string is more guitar-like playing-wise. Also, the 6-string is a bit smoother to pick. I use the 6-string for R&R, Gulf & Western, and even some Motown. If one is mainly a strummer than picker, then a 6-string may not get much playing time.

I disagree with your last sentence. I found ny Ohana sixer was okay to strum, but I found it weird to fingerpick. I've read that sixers are good for Hawaiian music, but I don't know why.

I didn't care for it at all, so I traded it for a nice Kala eighter which I like a lot. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I'll hafta remember that. I like picking CGDA, but I don't like the chords.

What I'd really like to do is change most of my stuff to DGBE like my baritone and (dGBE) Gold Tone banjolele. :eek:ld:

When I got my six string, I tried both. The eight string was tuned gG cC ee aa and the six string g cC E aA. I preferred the six string so I went for it. I liked the "double re-entrant" effect of the low A on the first string.

I've found response to my six string positive. Many of my guitar playing friends reckon it has a "fuller sound" than a conventional four string uke.

I'm thinking of getting a taro patch uke (8 string concert) but having it tune gG CC EE AA because the taro patch tuning of unison pairs is very close to the Renaissance guitar which is commonly a seven string instrument tuned gG CC EE A (There were 8 string versions too) as I have an interest in broadside ballads and it will do dual duty.

Last edited:
@ Tootler --

Q1: for the 6stringer, have you tried G cC e aA?

Q2: why did you prefer the sixer instead of the eighter?

Last edited:
@ Tootler --

Q1: for the 6stringer, have you tried G cC e aA?

No. I'm actually quite happy with the high G

Q2: why did you prefer the sixer instead of the eighter?

I'm not entirely sure, I think it was the effect of the low A on the downstrum. Just trying them together, I just found I preferred the sound of time six string. Both sounded good. I'd actually gone in for an 8 string and the guy suggested trying the six string as well.

What I do know is I'm very happy with the six string and it has something extra.

Here's a clip of me playing it from my latest seasons of the uke video.
https://youtu.be/SH8WWOG3IpA

I have a capo on 2 to get D tuning.

Why is the six-string good for Hawaiian music? It has a sound all its own.
Kuana Torres Kahele tunes his six string G cC e aA
I usually tune mine G cC e Aa
Traditional is g cC e Aa
I really really like the sound. Especially when you are able to play like this (I am not - yet!) although I have about half of this figured out so far!

I've had both, prefer the 6 of which I've had two, sold the Pono which was lovely and kept the old Maui Music tenor. Because old MM, hard to find here.

Just got rid of my 6 string Pono tenor. Got very little play time. I have a 6 string Mele concert that I'll probably keep and am getting an Ohana taropatch soon. May not be able to resist the Ohana 8 string spruce top tenor....amazing for that kind of money. Love the "chime."

I, personally can't think of a good reason to get a 6-string, if you already have an 8-string you love and enjoy! :confused::shaka:

Hmm... even the same instrument can be strung differently to have different voices... seems like a realm of endless possibilities. The main drawback must be finding a case to accommodate the headstock. Anywho, here's a video of the same inexpensive model 8 string instrument with different strings and tunings. I like the fuller, lower one, but that's generally the way I am!

bratsche

Top Bottom