Recording loops or backing tracks

JerryR

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a fairly new uke player and would like to record some simple background loops so I can work on playing sections of the melody.

I have a Mac computer, iPhone7 and an Islander Tenor Uke.

I'm considering purchasing the iRig Acoustic Stage to use along with the accompanying Amplitude App and add on the Looper feature as a simple way to record a basic rythm and chord progression.

I also have Guitar Pro 6 and the entire Adobe CC library of apps including Adobe Audition.

As a complete newbie I'm not sure if the above will allow me to do what I want.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry
San Diego, CA

Thanks for he suggestion. I think I saw this on the tonight show. This could work, I was just hoping for something that would give me better quality without getting crazy with an amp and pedals etc.

Personally, I simply record straight into my Windows 10 laptop using the built-in microphone and the freeware program "Audacity", then set it to repeat play, once edited to get the start and end to loop seamlessly ;)

Alternatively, I'll assemble a multi-part piece of music in ABC and generate MIDI files. This way I can mute whichever part of the music I want and play along with my ukulele, mandolin, whistle, bass or whatever takes my fancy ... :music:

I use Sessionband on the iPhone/Ipad. It comes in loads of styles including a Ukulele one. I make a loop in that then export it to my four track or my looper pedal. Works a treat :)

I was just hoping for something that would give me better quality without getting crazy with an amp and pedals etc.

I think the iOS route is a great idea as the apps are cheap and you can add as you go as you find out what you want out of it. The hardest part is figuring out the audio interface. The iRig Acoustic Stage is one option but you'll also need a camera connection kit to interface with the iPhone 7. The original iRig Acoustic is not an option since the 7 doesn't have the headphone jack.

Another option is an iPhone microphone. There are lots of options there in the same price range as the iRig. It's a little harder to go crazy with effects apps with the mic, at least "live", but that might not be a concern yet.

Hi all, I'm a fairly new uke player and would like to record some simple background loops so I can work on playing sections of the melody.
I have a Mac computer, iPhone7 and an Islander Tenor Uke.
I'm considering purchasing the iRig Acoustic Stage to use along with the accompanying Amplitude App and add on the Looper feature as a simple way to record a basic rythm and chord progression.

You have the right idea Jerry. I'm assuming your Islander uke does not have an installed pickup?

So you need to get the ukulele sound into your Mac or iPhone. The easiest way is to simply use the built-in mic on either device but obviously there are ambient noise issues that affect quality. The iRig Acoustic Stage would be good choice to digitize the sound if you don't have a pickup. Amplitube is a great app but you can also use Loopy HD which is a little more full-featured than the looper in Amplitube.
The original iRig Acoustic is half the price of the Stage version but as Jim mentioned it requires a headphone jack. I'm not sure if there's an adapter for the iPhone 7 but I suspect there is… If there is a way to make it work it would be a low cost and serviceable option.

If you were to install a piezo pickup in your Islander you'd have a few more options. Regardless, you'd still need an audio interface.

Top Bottom