Koaloha Opio Acacia - Updates

wake

Reaction score
My early research on the Koaloha Opio line, specifically those that are constructed of Acacia wood left me with the impression that most felt like the sustain was limited (short) on these ukes. Granted, these are a newer variant, but I really don't find much here or on the web that addresses some of the board members early opinions on the matter. In fact there are very few videos of them altogether. Could I get a followup from those of you who have demoed Opio Acacia line (specifically the tenor)?

Buy it from HMS....if you don't like it you can return it. Most negative comments were about the concert and that was based on one recording from HMS, not much of a sample size to base any conclusion on

As far as I remember, those early comments were all based on one specific video which featured a very special playing style where the strings were muted in a jazzy way on purpose. Here is a video of the tenor version which displays a lot of sustain (with some deliberate muting as well):

My own personal experience is limited to the Sapele version, but that one is a real canon and among my very favorite instruments. If I didn't have that one, I'd go for the all Acacia version in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I was wondering... I have seen a few of the videos - HMS, ukerepublic, and others but only ukerepublic's seemed to show a little sustain, but the clip wasn't long enough to really form a conclusive opinion.

the new opio acasia with spruce top is almost 2x better then the normal acasia top from when I tried it. longer sustain, larger volume ,sound and clarity

I believe the tenors and concerts both have 37mm nuts (1-7/16"+, between standard and typical wider nuts). The nut on my KoAloha KTM-00 tenor (not an Opio) is 1.5" / 38mm wide.
I have an Opio concert neck measures 37mm. Hard to be exact with the tiny micro fine lines. Inches came in at 1.5.

As far as tone I am not a fan of Acacia I have discovered. I prefer mahogany which is not bright. Spruce on Acacia body would make it even brighter, and the color combination looks weird to me. The solid Acacia looks nice, looks like koa.

I believe the tenors and concerts both have 37mm nuts (1-7/16"+, between standard and typical wider nuts). The nut on my KoAloha KTM-00 tenor (not an Opio) is 1.5" / 38mm wide.

Thanks for the info! I am finding that after having a chance to spend a time playing a pair of ukes with seemingly different neck profiles and with a 1.5" nut width, that I prefer the slightly wider nut width. I am going to slow and try and not throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water, so my other ukes with narrower nut widths are safe - at least for now...

I have an Opio concert neck measures 37mm. Hard to be exact with the tiny micro fine lines. Inches came in at 1.5.

As far as tone I am not a fan of Acacia I have discovered. I prefer mahogany which is not bright. Spruce on Acacia body would make it even brighter, and the color combination looks weird to me. The solid Acacia looks nice, looks like koa.

I try and stay open-minded on wood combinations, including composites, blends and laminates. Ukes like Blackbird's eKoa, Martins HPL and thin-laminates/veneers like those employed by Kiwaya are great alternatives. But to answer that age old question if I could only have one Uke; 1st: All solid-(Hawaiian)Koa, 2nd: All solid-Acacia. 3rd: All Solid-Mahogany. And now with a preference of the 1.5 (or near) nut width.

Top Bottom