Top 9 tenor ukes under $200.00

Ukecaster

Reaction score
At least back in 2013, they were under $200.00. What's your top 3? Maybe my ear is not that discriminating yet, but for me, many of them sound rather similar. Luna better than I expected, Islander nice too. I suppose I'd expect similarity, with all being laminate, and many probably made in the same factory.

Last edited:
I'm not really versed on ukes under $200, but to your comment about Luna, I picked one up just to play something on vacation. The one i got was quite playable and had very solid intonation, but I tried about 6 that were not too good. It seems to me that there is a lot of variation in QC at that level.

I took the demo model which was probably set up.

I love my AT-4 Islander. my go to laminate. sounds almost as good as my Koaloha or Martin tenors.

At least back in 2013, they were under $200.00. What's your top 3? Maybe my ear is not that discriminating yet, but for me, many of them sound rather similar. Luna better than I expected, Islander nice too. I suppose I'd expect similarity, with all being laminate, and many probably made in the same factory.

me too, I could hardly tell the difference.

Every time I watch this video thinking "okay I'm really gonna focus on getting the sound difference this time", I always end up just enjoying the music and forgetting about everything else.

I need those hands instead!

Anyone knows the name of the song? It sounds really familiar... Maybe just I've watched it too many times...

My KPK acacia concert and a Cordoba 20TM-CE

My Oscar Schmidt 8-string. With just a little bit of customizing it's a responsive and fun instrument.

Three years ago I made my choice for my first ukulele based on this video. I went with the Gretsch 9120 and it was a solid workhorse of a uke with a very pleasing sound. I bought it from a local guitar/music store, brand new in the box and out the door. They had a few Kalas which I tried as well but the Gretsch just spoke to me.

I knew nothing about ukes or "set ups". After a couple months playing at a local uke jam a member/luthier suggested he set it up and lower the action for me. It made a world of difference in the ease of playability, especially barr chords. Anyone of those ukes in the video will be a great choice as an inexpensive tenor, pick the one you like the look and sound of and play the snot out of it.

My KPK acacia concert and a Cordoba 20TM-CE

I will second the recommendation for Cordoba. It is as nice inside as it is the outside. Beautiful tone and luthiery throughout.UkePixIMG_7083.jpg
PS: I added the little rosette.

Last edited:
I have a couple of tenor scale ukes, as well as a couple of normal tenors.

Those that come in under that price point are my two tenor scaled solid mahogany Ohana ukes, (one is concert bodied, the other is soprano bodied), my Kala KA-T, & my Makala MK-T. They all sound OK to me, even that Makala, but the Ohana ukes do have an edge when it comes to tone. But there really isn't very much between them to my ears.

Although manufacturing techniques for inexpensive ukuleles have come a long way in the last 10 years, it's hard to say which $200 ukulele sounds best. It really does boil down between instrument to instrument rather than model vs model.

I have played two of the "same" Kala models with the same strings and both sounded completely different. At the same time I played an laminate Islander which to me sounded better than their solid top model.

This is not to say that expensive ukuleles all sound the same either. Every Kamaka HF-4 I have tried all sound a little different, but they definitely always have that familiar, sweet sound.

With that said, try it before you buy it. Then if you like it, buy it.

For those of you who have Facebook... search for ukuleleISR and look for their post on May 4th (sorry... didn't know if links were allowed). They posted their transcription of it. I'm not sure how close it is.

This video is what enticed me to get the Kala TEM for my first uke. It was between that or the Gretsch 9120, but there was just something (looks aside) that pulled me towards the Kala TEM.

For those of you who have Facebook... search for ukuleleISR and look for their post on May 4th (sorry... didn't know if links were allowed). They posted their transcription of it. I'm not sure how close it is.

This video is what enticed me to get the Kala TEM for my first uke. It was between that or the Gretsch 9120, but there was just something (looks aside) that pulled me towards the Kala TEM.

Ahhhh, thank you!

Kudos for the tab, good sir.

I can't recall how many times I listened to this comparison vid when I was looking for my first uke. Good headphones do help, btw. :) Decided on the Islander for its subtle, warm tone and haven't regretted it since.

Last edited:
Top Bottom