PDA

View Full Version : Short Body Tenor...

Pete Howlett
05-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Short body tenor NOT long necked concert. :cool:

This came from one of those 'petri dishes left on the window cill' accidental things! Tom attached a tenor neck to a concert body to demonstrate to a student the area occupied by the heel when sanding and we both looked at each other and simultaneously said, 'That looks interesting - like one of those early English 4 course guitars!'

So I quickly put together some wlanut and spruce orphans, made a 15 fret to the body tenor scale neck and this is what it looks like - it's our fun instrument for The Ukulele Festival of Great Britain. May soundport it, even sunburst and fit a pick-up just for fun!

Croaky Keith
05-09-2017, 10:46 PM
That's strange - I've got one with a tenor scale & a concert body & that is a long neck concert - so I guess you're going to have it as a different scale length - 16"?
(I've seen some 'concerts' with a 16" scale)

kypfer
05-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Looks nice :)

It'll be interesting to know what it actually plays like ... as in what's it like to handle (I'm sure it'll sound fine). I've got a "travel" guitar with a disproportionally long neck (compared to the body), it often feels "head-heavy" and definitely needs a strap, despite being relatively light, much like my non-resonator 5-string banjo, needs to be played "head-up" to keep it stable :confused:

Pete Howlett
05-10-2017, 01:06 AM
Nomenclature - it's all wrong. ~Long scale is different from long neck. Thats why we are calling it 'short body'.

Jim Hanks
05-10-2017, 03:21 AM
I guess I'm missing the joke on "long neck concert" vs "short body tenor". Seems exactly the same. But nobody else is marketing a "short body tenor" so it makes sense for you to corner the market with yours. :p

Anyway it looks nice. Love the back. You should definetly side port it. :cool:

Croaky Keith
05-10-2017, 03:44 AM
It can be called by a different name, & that's OK, but it just confuses people, having the same basic thing being called by different names. ;)

There is also the Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, a smaller bodied tenor scale uke, that gets quite a lot of praise, but it has a more triangulated shaped body.
(There were a couple of concert ukes with 16" scale, but they didn't call them a 'long neck', even though they obviously were.)

Long neck just means longer than the standard for that size of uke - I have both concert & soprano bodied tenor scale 'long necks', & also a soprano bodied concert scale 'long neck'. People know exactly what I'm talking about when I mention them. :)

Mivo
05-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Pete's right, though. Soprano, concert and tenor refer to scale length, not body size. So calling a 17" scale instrument with a smaller body a "long neck concert" is factually wrong, even though it's without a doubt the more familiar terminology. If I built instruments, I'd probably not want to mislabel them just to sell them more easily, so Pete's decision to name it for what it really is makes sense to me. :)

Croaky Keith
05-10-2017, 08:58 AM
But he is putting a tenor neck on a concert body.

attached a tenor neck to a concert body
So I'm wondering where the bridge is going to be placed, distance between saddle & nut gives the scale.

On my long neck concert, the distance between the saddle & the base of the uke is quite a bit less than on a standard tenor, (3.1" as against 4.2").

At one time there was only a soprano, derived from a machette, then we got bigger ones, so it is all evolution, but we already have names for certain types of uke. :)

Pete Howlett
05-11-2017, 12:57 AM
As a maker with over 23 years making ukulele I think I have a pretty good idea what I am doing.

Croaky Keith
05-11-2017, 01:21 AM
I'm not questioning your abilities - just your logic in using a different name for an established type of uke. :)

It's your party, so do what you like, call it what you want, it's no skin off my nose. ;)

RPA_Ukuleles
05-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Large-body extra-long neck soprano ?

stevepetergal
05-11-2017, 05:02 AM
You could call it a super-duper scale super soprano. A rose is a rose...

Pete Howlett
05-11-2017, 08:44 AM
I don't conform. I also don't agree with the view that because someone says so that is how it should be. This instrument is a fun piece - getting AR about it is a bit ridiculous :)

JesterBlod
05-13-2017, 01:00 PM
I don't really mind what it is technically called. I think it's lovely and I would like to call it "mine"! :D:music:

Pete Howlett
05-13-2017, 08:43 PM
It is yours Jesterblod !

gerardg
05-14-2017, 12:03 AM
I have made a sort of short body tenor few years ago.
16" scale, 14th fret joining neck.
With large aera Hibiscus soundhole.
Called it "Grand Concert" ... but you're right, Pete.
Short body tenor better name ...

kkimura
05-14-2017, 02:38 AM
I've always wanted a concert scale tenor. Easy fretting for short fingers with a big tenor sounding body.

JesterBlod
05-14-2017, 03:53 AM
It is yours Jesterblod !

Yeeeeeesssss :love::D:music::nana: