Care for first uke... specifically in regards to humidity (or lack thereof).

brobar

Reaction score
Greetings all. First post. First time ukulele owner (so total n00b). My Kala Tenor Exotic Mahogany should be delivered this Saturday from Sam Ash. I need to find a local shop here in Northern Colorado who can do a proper setup for me... and to find a case for it.

I wanted to ask you all about proper care/storage when not in use. The acoustic guitars I have were all purchased here in Colorado and I haven't had any issues with warping/cracking and they are all hung on a wall by guitar hangers. However, I'm a little nervous about the drastic humidity shift for the uke being delivered this weekend as it is going from one of the most humid climates in the states (Florida) to one of the most arid climates in the states (Colorado). We don't have a whole-house humidifier (yet).

What precautions/storage/care would you suggest? Case storage? Humidifier? Fretboard oil? Something else? Any brands or particular products you prefer?

Thanks for the tips.

That Kala has an all laminate mahogany body. If your guitars survived hanging on a wall this uke will be just fine. It might move and shift a bit (proud fret ends) initially but it will acclimatize and settle down. I have a couple all laminate ukes that I leave out all year round with no serious issues. Our winters are very cold and dry and our summers are hot and humid.

Last edited:
I'd probably oil the fretboard once for looks and hygiene (I use Dunlop "lemmon" oil), but would skip the rest. The advantage of a laminated uke is that you don't normally need to humidify or baby it. It's an ideal instrument to sit around in the open, no case needed unless you travel with it.

The Kala KA-TEME is a good uke to start with, (I have the SEME & CEME), these are laminates & can take some abuse without problems, so I'd just do what you do with your guitars, it won't need special attention. :)

Top Bottom