Double NUUD: Kinnard Tenor & Concert

Kanya

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have the pleasure to make a quick announcement that my husband and I are now the very happy owners of two Kinnard ukuleles:

I was lucky to acquire an absolutely gorgeous Kinnard Tenor from a forum member from Great Britain some days ago and then my husband had the opportunity to buy a lovely Kinnard Concert from another forum member from Switzerland which reached our home tonight!

We are both spellbound by our new instruments and, of course, I will let you know more about them within the next few days. I'm pretty sure that some of you have already seen our two Kinnards as they have been shown here by their previous owners some time ago. Tonight, I'm only uploading a first quick photo of our two new beauties because it's already late here and we have to get up early tomorrow morning. I'd like to apologize for the bad quality of the photo, but it's already dark here.

My husband and I would however like not to forget mentioning at least one very important thing right now:

Dear Andrew and dear Rainer,
thank you sooo much for selling these two stunning instruments to us! We are both extremely happy and grateful to have been given the chance to acquire them and each of us has exactly got what he respectively she has always been dreaming of! My husband Olli loves his Concert as much as I love my wonderful Tenor and you two made us very happy.

20170511_213548.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet. Congrats on two fine acquisitions from reputable sellers! I'm a bonafide Kinnard fan boy, having both a baritone and a soprano. I toy with with selling the soprano to get a tenor to match my baritone. Wish I could have a Kinnard in every size! Enjoy your new acquisitions!

Beautiful looking instruments, enjoy!

Congratulations! I have a Kinnard tenor guitar that I love and a friend has a Kinnard tenor ukulele that he loves. Kinnards are great instruments, and yours look great!

Thanks to all of you for your kind words!

As I promised to share our thoughts on these two instruments with you, I would like to describe my first impressions when playing my tenor: this instrument is awesome and really outstanding! I really love the neck: I'm a very small person with extremely small hands and short fingers, but as the fretboard isn't that wide, it's easy to play for me. I also like that the neck is quite round and "fleshy" which feels very nice in combination which the rather narrow fretboard. The way the neck feels is very important for me and as I neither like very wide fretboards, nor flat necks, this neck is a dream for me! I also love its "jumbo" frets which you can hardly find on ukuleles. My other ukuleles all have "spaghetti" frets compared to this tenor and I like the jumbos far better. I was hoping for a powerful, but yet warm tone with nice, crisps trebles in the Kinnard and that is exactly what I got! It's absolutely beautiful. What I also like is that you can clearly hear each single note in a chord. I have no idea how to properly express this in English, but in German we say that the note can be heard "separately" in spite of the fact that you are playing a chord which has several notes in it. Another aspect I really love is the incredible sustain of this instrument.

In addition to the gorgeous sound of my Kinnard tenor, it indeed is a looker! I personally like that it doesn't have much "bling", but looks very classy instead. The woods are very, very nice and the workmanship on this instrument is flawless and absolutely incredible! The woods go very well with the gold tuners, which might just be a little detail, but I admire it when a luthier really cares about every single aspect of an instrument. I also dig the color of that walnut neck!

My husband's concert is as lovely as my tenor: it has a very warm and velvety sound which we both love. Currently, it's strung in Low G and in spite of the fact that we have played exclusively in re-entrant tuning so far, we now decided to keep the linear tuning because it sounds very nice on this particular instrument. My husband likes the fact that the fretboard of his concert ist wider than the one of my tenor whereas for me, it's the other way round. So both of us got exactly the instrument we have always dreamt of, which is a great joy! The same conclusion holds true with regard to the sound of our instruments.

As I haven't been able to take really nice photos of our two instruments, I would at least show you some photos taken by KinnardUkes. Of course, I asked Kevin for permission to use them in my NUUD and he kindly allowed me to add them here.

Kinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_004.jpgKinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_007.jpgKinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_025.jpgKinnard_84.jpgKinnard_83.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations again to the both of you! I'm so glad my lovely concert went to such a great new home and was joined by a sibling so quickly. They look great together, and I fully agree with your description and praise. I hope they will bring you many years of joy, while I look forward to meeting you two again (and your awesome ukes)...

I have played some very fine ukuleles but several years ago at the Waikiki Ukulele Festival I had the experience of actually playing a Kinnard. The amazing thing was that after my initially touching the strings the Kinnard began to play itself, with incredible tone and sustain. The birds stopped singing, the clouds rolled back and there was a deep sounding voice coming from the heavens asking, "What was that that I just heard?"

Wow that is just fantastic. A Kinnard double header.......life doesn't get much better than that. Comgratulations on acquiring two world class instruments.

Here are a few more photos of our Kinnard ukuleles taken by Kevin. My husband and I will try to take some decent photos which show the two instruments together in the next few days, but as Kevin's photos are certainly much better than the ones we will be able to take, I thought that you might like to see them here. Here is our Concert:

Kinnard_80.jpgKinnard_81.jpgKinnard_90.jpgKinnard_91.jpgRainer Concert_2016-06-17_933.jpg

beautiful, Kinnards are high class. I loved there baritone when they came down for the UGH festival.

... and here are some pictures of my Tenor:

Kinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_014.jpgKinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_016.jpgKinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_006.jpgKinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_008.jpgKinnard Walnut Bear Claw HMS Apr 15_2015-04-17_012.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! Great to see such nice Kinnard ukes being being lovingly re-homed. They look wonderful, and I bet sound a play even better! Enjoy!

Congrats! So happy you both now have the instruments of your wishes.
I dream about Kinnards constantly:drool:.

And thank you for the detailed review. It is always appreciated when players describe how their instruments feel and play and the features that are most loved. Such food for thought.

Enjoy!

Here are some pictures I took in our living room in the afternoon. They are by far not as nice as Kevin's photos! I however asked my husband to take our two Kinnard ukuleles outside as soon as the weather allows it in order to take better photos. I hope that this will be possible very soon.

We are really in love with these two mesmerizing ukuleles and we enjoy playing them sooo much!

IMG_0658.jpgIMG_0660.jpgIMG_0661.jpgIMG_0667.jpgIMG_0669.jpg

Wow, Kanya, 2 of these in the same household??? Gee, you guys are lucky! Congrats! So beautiful...

Top Bottom