Control when strumming?

joce_sauce

Reaction score
I am brand spankin new to the ukulele and have basically 0 musical background to begin with aside from basic music theory from grade school. I'd like to think I'm pretty good with rhythm and I've been able to pick up strumming patterns fairly quickly as well. The problem comes in when I try to control the pressure with my strumming hand for lack of a better term. One strum is quite hard and forceful and the next is soft and I feel like I'm almost missing a string or 2 if that makes sense. Will this just come with practice or is there any trips or tricks you could give me?

Thanks!

It will definitely come with practice. What helped me was being very loose with my wrist and not using the strength of my elbow to strum. Allllll in the wrist.

Practice is definitely the answer ;)

Try playing everything quietly/gently at first. Once you've got a degree of consistency (and kept the neighbours happy) you'll probably find it a lot easier to increase the volume when required.

YMMV :music:

Not sure if this fits you, but strumming is a skill like any other and many beginners attempt to strum faster than their current skill level will allow. Perhaps all you need to do is slow down. As I tell my beginning students, slow down enough so you can do something perfectly. Speed comes with familiarity.

:agree: Don't forget you can hit the gear icon on youtube and slow the video down so you can "master" that strum before trying it full speed. Eventually, you won't need to do that.

Top Bottom