Beautiful message about ukes from George Harrison circa 1999

Joshua M

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted here before, but whenever I give a uke as a gift I make a songbook with this on the cover.

A beautiful sentiment...

Attachments

• GeorgeUKE.jpg
    GeorgeUKE.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for posting that. I had never read the background to that writing. What a story! WoW.

George was my favorite Beatle. Like Joshua, I didn't know the backstory to this fabulous sentiment. How wonderful! I can't imagine being Jim & Liz Beloff and playing with George. And then to have him play "Something."

That would have been it for me. Mind officially blown! Ka-BOOM

Quick and easy lesson on how to play "Something" from Jake Shimabukaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFELG1cj-I

That is very cool. I have not heard of this before. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I shared it on my uke group's facebook page.

George was the man. My first finger picking song was Here Comes The Sun. Wish I had gotten the chance to hear him live. I've met Jim Beloff twice, most recently this past February at a James Hill and Anne Janelle performance in Madison Conn. Jim is a very nice guy and a great ambassador for the ukulele. Jim and Liz are perfect examples of the old saying about finding something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life!

George was my fave, too. He was the only one who's solo albums I bought. I didn't know he owned hundreds of ukuleles.
I was honored to also get to meet Jim and Liz, at one of our TBUS getaways. Their book "Daily Ukulele" was originally written for TBUS members.

The note was published in Jumpin Jim's 60s Uke In Book as the preface. The book was first published in 1999, long before most of us touched a uke. I have the 7th printing from 2004 and I think you can still buy it, not bad for a book to be still selling after 18 years. I think several people who like to be too cool to own a book called "Jumpin' Jim's 60s Uke " may have copied it and made it look like a stand alone note by removing the page 3 thing. I have seen it in several formats over the years.

I ordered that "Jumping Jim 60 book" on August 26, 2006 (just checked amazon) just before I bought my first ukulele two weeks later. I remember reading that George Harrison note and thought it was great. I still have the book and it explained there were 4 sizes of ukulele. I had no ideas about ukuleles then except for Tiny Tim and George Harrison and the Beatles because I bought the Beatles Anthology DVD set years before and they are playing ukulele in George's backyard.

Petey

I ordered that "Jumping Jim 60 book" on August 26, 2006 (just checked amazon) just before I bought my first ukulele two weeks later. I remember reading that George Harrison note and thought it was great. I still have the book and it explained there were 4 sizes of ukulele. I had no ideas about ukuleles then except for Tiny Tim and George Harrison and the Beatles because I bought the Beatles Anthology DVD set years before and they are playing ukulele in George's backyard.

Petey

Very cool story Petey, I had no idea about the uke content in that DVD.

Thanks "mds725" for sharing that wonderful back story about George and how that note came to be. As another said before me " these are the reasons I keep coming back to this site"...............and playing ukulele.

Top Bottom