NUD: True Martin Centennial Soprano

OhioBelle

Reaction score
This 1K was dated by the shop to 1933, by the decal on the headstock and the presence of bar frets. So I am calling it a Centennial. Not to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Martin's first ukulele, but the 100th anniversary of Martin's founding.

I held this beauty in my arms and felt that instant jolt of love and recognition - THE ONE. No question about it. I stood there strumming and playing with a crazy surge of happiness and knew I had to have it.

After bringing it home, it passed the ultimate Fiero sniff test. Smells like old wood and old music. I can't find any cracks in the top or sides, and only one repaired back crack. The action feels perfect, the neck feels perfect, and the sound is magical. Loud and warm, and as sparkling as the koa in the sunlight.

Now I understand.

IMG_5998.jpgIMG_5999.jpgIMG_6001.jpgIMG_6002.jpg

Awesome! I bet that sounds amazing! May I ask where you found it?

OhioBelle, What a find! It's quite lovely, congratulations on this wonderful addition to your herd!

Beautiful! Congratulations! I lust after one of those too.
Does it have a repair to the bridge or is it an optical illusion due to reflection?

Congratulations on a REAL keeper. Just fantastic how you don't hesitate to pull the trigger on something special. Smart move and well done, enjoy it for another 100 years ;)

That's gorgeous, Congrat's! I guess I can call my Style 0 a 1933 too, since it has the headstock decal and bar frets!

Wow, super nice! Congrats!!

One of the nicest 1K I've seen. Congratulations.

Thanks to all for your kind replies! I'm still over the moon, giddy in love with this ukulele. Will respond with more specific thoughts and observations tomorrow. If I get any sleep, that is. I don't want to sleep, just play!

Being that all my Martins are Mahogany this post gives me KUAS (Koa Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome)

Awesome! I bet that sounds amazing! May I ask where you found it?

Would you believe it was at Hauer? I totally have you to thank for this, LOL! I went to "visit" the one across the street at Centerville, but stopped at Hauer first. I thought I remembered Hauer's being mahogany, and being in the front case with the Amahis (sacrilege!). This one was all the way in the back. And although priced higher than Centerville's 1M, it was totally worth it to me. I left it there, did some research, obsessed for two days, then brought it home.

Beautiful! Congratulations! I lust after one of those too.
Does it have a repair to the bridge or is it an optical illusion due to reflection?

Partly reflection, partly weird finish damage (the gray bit), and partly a bridge repair. Good eye! But one bridge repair and one back crack I can live with. Maybe someday drill through that bridge and make a string-thru? Seems solid now, though.

'Not sure which is prettier...Martin or Fiero. I bet they both sound amazing.

Meow

Congratulations on a REAL keeper. Just fantastic how you don't hesitate to pull the trigger on something special. Smart move and well done, enjoy it for another 100 years ;)

I'm a big believer in fate, so I know when she puts something special in my path, it's for a reason. Although I did wait two days, Dave. TWO WHOLE DAYS! Ha ha!

Some observations now that I've had her for a few days:

Strings, she loves Aquila Nylguts. Who knew? I haven't liked Nylguts much on anything till now. Since they're supposed to emulate gut, that makes sense to me.

Playability is great. I love how the neck feels, and bar chords are so much easier. She's extremely responsive, sounding just as good when I play lightly as when I really try to get some sound out.

Versatility is surprising. She has a lovely sparkling ring when playing fingerstyle that I didn't expect from a soprano. This uke can do everything! I'm even trying out picks. So far I like heavier ones, like Tortex purple, D'Andrea Pro Plec, and Ultra Cool. These three impart a nice warm tone and don't click on the strings like celluloid. The Tortex with the point is great for picking a melody. Felt picks? Meh.

Looking forward to a long life with this treasure!

Would you believe it was at Hauer? I totally have you to thank for this, LOL! I went to "visit" the one across the street at Centerville, but stopped at Hauer first. I thought I remembered Hauer's being mahogany, and being in the front case with the Amahis (sacrilege!). This one was all the way in the back. And although priced higher than Centerville's 1M, it was totally worth it to me. I left it there, did some research, obsessed for two days, then brought it home.

Partly reflection, partly weird finish damage (the gray bit), and partly a bridge repair. Good eye! But one bridge repair and one back crack I can live with. Maybe someday drill through that bridge and make a string-thru? Seems solid now, though.

Meow

I'm a big believer in fate, so I know when she puts something special in my path, it's for a reason. Although I did wait two days, Dave. TWO WHOLE DAYS! Ha ha!

Some observations now that I've had her for a few days:

Strings, she loves Aquila Nylguts. Who knew? I haven't liked Nylguts much on anything till now. Since they're supposed to emulate gut, that makes sense to me.

Playability is great. I love how the neck feels, and bar chords are so much easier. She's extremely responsive, sounding just as good when I play lightly as when I really try to get some sound out.

Versatility is surprising. She has a lovely sparkling ring when playing fingerstyle that I didn't expect from a soprano. This uke can do everything! I'm even trying out picks. So far I like heavier ones, like Tortex purple, D'Andrea Pro Plec, and Ultra Cool. These three impart a nice warm tone and don't click on the strings like celluloid. The Tortex with the point is great for picking a melody. Felt picks? Meh.

Looking forward to a long life with this treasure!

Awesome! I thought theirs was mahogany too. Maybe it was a different one? I'm really happy it found a home either way! Happy to have had a small part in it :)

As far as a bridge repair, if it ever pulls through and the slot gets "blown out," there are ways to repair it if you want to avoid drilling holes in the bridge. As I mentioned in the other thread, there is a local luthier, Mark Kaiser, who can do those types of repairs.

I hope you have a lifetime of enjoyment with it!

Congratulations on the beautiful 1K! Aquila produces natural gut strings, if you want to explore. They do sound great (I've used them), however they are expensive and deteriorate quickly.

https://www.aquilacorde.com/modern-...instrument-products/3178/genuine-gut/?lang=en

The binding is probably faux tortoise. Much of it was quite dark, and as the finish over the binding ages, it darkens as well.

Thank you, hmgberg! Perhaps it IS tortoise after all? I posted some more pics today on the other thread. I don't know a lot about the properties of celluloid, but darkening as it ages seems a reasonable explanation.

Thanks also for the recommendation of natural gut. I just may try those!

Top Bottom