Luna uke (Kiwaya)

I haven't seen one in person but I've been stalking them obsessively and have considered ordering one from Rakuten! They're super popular in Japan and from what I've seen are pretty comparable to the Kiwayas we get stateside. Here's the one in your video.

If you haven't seen it yet, you might enjoy taking a look through Kiwaya's Japanese site, which also shows the other brands from Kiwaya: Luna, Famous, and a few lower-priced options that they distribute ("F" seems to have a good reputation).

Yeah, sweet looking uke for under $800.00

is_3mv_all.jpg

They are Kiwaya, not a brand owned by Kiwaya. Straight up Kiwaya.

Specs on the rakuten site say it is Mahogany Wood Veneer, so I assume it's laminate, like the Kiwaya/Famous Eco Series. But...Kiwaya's laminates are awesome.

Specs on the rakuten site say it is Mahogany Wood Veneer, so I assume it's laminate, like the Kiwaya/Famous Eco Series. But...Kiwaya's laminates are awesome.

I guess. I'll ask someone Japanese to read and decipher. Google translates koa as core, so it's hard to know. The price indicates laminate, but the look is solid. If Rakuten is reputable, that's a deal, and there is a model I've got my eye on.

Just checked Rakuten's return policy. You can't return. But this is available at Kiwayasbest site. Not sure about their return policy, either. Also the rosewood might be am issue for import.

Last edited:
Sounds very nice! Everyone seems to be very impressed with the Kiwaya's. Would never have associated "Luna" with them. Thanks for posting. Importing rosewood is growing in my list of annoyances....

Last edited:
The Kiwaya-made Lunas are laminates - the word in Japanese is more commonly translated as veneer, but I can't imagine how that differs from laminate. Which would explain the lower cost between the Luna and the KTS-7, although I'm sure it's a really great instrument nonetheless.

Sounds very nice! Everyone seems to be very moressed with the Kiwaya's. Would never have associated "Luna" with them. Thanks for posting. Importing rosewood is growing in my list of annoyances....

FYI, these are definitely a different "Luna" than the ones commonly found in the U.S. - absolutely no relation between the two.

As a Japanese, I feel sorry that Kiwaya’s brands confuse you guys. They all are great instruments. Let me a little bit explain.

First, this Luna is made of solid Honduras Mahogany, no laminate!! At least it says in Japanese website. No laminate ukulele costs over $400. Surprisingly, the google translate calls “Tanban or 単板 (solid wood)” as veneer!!

Next, this Luna is made by T’s guitar. It is a well-respected company run by Shinji Takahashi. He is also a co-owner of Imua ukulele. Until 1970s, Luna was an independent brand. In 1990s, Kiwaya asked Mitsuba-gakki to revive the brand. Mitsuba-gakki produces only entry-level ukulele, so Luna in 1990s to mid-2000s is like Kala in the US, around $200-300. They are laminate. Then, Kiwaya changed the manufacturer to T’s. From entry to high-end ones, all are made of solid woods.

Third, as far as I understand, this instrument is exactly the same as Kiwaya KTS-7. Luna is a brand name for distribution in Japan. Kiwaya is the name for overseas. Kiwaya’s website in Japanese says, they sell the Famous and Luna ukulele as a new name Kiwaya in other countries from 2004. But I’m not so sure the reason of the price difference.

I thought it was the KTS-7!

Do I hear thunder, or is that the sound of feet rushing to buy this?

As a Japanese, I feel sorry that Kiwaya’s brands confuse you guys. They all are great instruments. Let me a little bit explain.

First, this Luna is made of solid Honduras Mahogany, no laminate!! At least it says in Japanese website. No laminate ukulele costs over $400. Surprisingly, the google translate calls “Tanban or 単板 (solid wood)” as veneer!!

Next, this Luna is made by T’s guitar. It is a well-respected company run by Shinji Takahashi. He is also a co-owner of Imua ukulele. Until 1970s, Luna was an independent brand. In 1990s, Kiwaya asked Mitsuba-gakki to revive the brand. Mitsuba-gakki produces only entry-level ukulele, so Luna in 1990s to mid-2000s is like Kala in the US, around $200-300. They are laminate. Then, Kiwaya changed the manufacturer to T’s. From entry to high-end ones, all are made of solid woods.

Third, as far as I understand, this instrument is exactly the same as Kiwaya KTS-7. Luna is a brand name for distribution in Japan. Kiwaya is the name for overseas. Kiwaya’s website in Japanese says, they sell the Famous and Luna ukulele as a new name Kiwaya in other countries from 2004. But I’m not so sure the reason of the price difference.

Thanks for clarifying that - I was confusing 単板 with 合板, although translations for both terms seem to be contradictory depending on the source. My dictionary has "veneer" for 単板 and "plywood" for 合板, although I'm sure I've seen 合板 in the description of Famous ukuleles that I'm pretty certain are laminates.

I think the proper thing to do is to buy one of each and do a comparison :) And yes, they are all great instruments, so I don't think you can go wrong!

Strictly in the interests of science and linguistics, Jane!

Thanks for clarifying that - I was confusing 単板 with 合板, although translations for both terms seem to be contradictory depending on the source. My dictionary has "veneer" for 単板 and "plywood" for 合板, although I'm sure I've seen 合板 in the description of Famous ukuleles that I'm pretty certain are laminates.

I think the proper thing to do is to buy one of each and do a comparison :) And yes, they are all great instruments, so I don't think you can go wrong!

Top Bottom