Look Out Ukulele World; Clumsy Bear Coming Through

NursingDaBlues

Reaction score
I guess you could say that I’m pretty much a greenhorn in the ukulele world. I haven’t lurked on the Ukulele Underground Forum. I’m grossly uneducated on the nuances of ukulele. And I’m not sure if “Uke Talk” is the appropriate discussion area to post this; if it’s not, feel free to yell at me all you want.

But I’ve got a major question.

First, though, here’s a little background so you’ll know where I’m coming from. I have roughly 50 years of playing acoustic guitar, banjo, and mandolin. My primary gigging instruments are a ’43 Martin 000-18, ’67 Martin D-28, 2005 Ome Custom Deluxe Juniper open-back banjo, and 2008 Weber Custom Vintage A mandolin; occasionally I’ll use other guitars/banjos/mandolins based on the venue but these are my go-to guys. No pick-ups; all instruments are mic’d. The little group I’m in has centered its repertoire on country-folk along the lines of The Band, John Prine, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, John Hartford, and the like, with frequent forays into Laurel Canyon music. Not too long ago my two stage partners and I decided that a few of the songs on our set list would lend themselves to the inclusion of a ukulele. I have a c.1950s Martin Style 0, but after some experimenting we decided we needed a tad different/mellower voice for the music we offer. So I purchased a Martin 2K Tenor. Our little trio focuses on harmonizing and blending, both in vocals and instruments. While a vintage Martin mahogany tenor would seem to be more applicable to our style of play, the Koa on the 2K adds a really pleasing “chime” that so far seems well-suited to our purposes.

So here’s the question: the Martin fluorocarbon strings seem adequate, but I think I can get a little more “something” from the 2K. But I don’t know a thing about ukulele strings. What strings would you recommend that can serve performance duty with finger picking and strumming, while complimenting the existing warmth of the tenor body. I’ll be sticking with re-entrant tuning to maintain the ukulele feel. It’s just got to be able to blend with an ever-varying combination of instruments, from a concertina, to fiddle (well maybe not a fiddle, but you never can tell), to guitar, to penny whistle. And it’s got to be able to stand alone when called upon. If it helps, I use D’Addario phosphor-bronze mediums on the D-28; Elixer 80/20 nanoweb mediums on the 000-18; GHS nickel mediums (with a muted fiberskyn head) on the banjo; and Thomastik medium flat-wounds on the mandolin.

Thanks for any suggestions you offer!

Ive got 8 ukes and am a huge fan of constantly changing strings til I get the exact sound I am looking for. If I dont find it, I sell that uke. Mine go from 3-5 string changes sometimes til I find ones that are just right. On my solid mahoganies, Ive found Oasis brights to be the best performers. Ive also used the Martin strings, numerous Aquilas, Oasis, Worth, D'Addario, Fremonts, Ko'olau etc. My favorite strings are the Fremonts but on the mahogany ukes, the Oasis fluoros still sound better. I have 2 Ohana ukes that are extremely lightweight and resonant like the Martins...maybe try some Oasis strings and see how they work for you. The nylgut types seem to work best on improving the sound of laminates or when you want a louder, brash type of sound but for clarity (fingerpicking etc) I personally prefer the fluorocarbon strings. Mahogany + Oasis brights= the only two ukes I own with that true bell-like chime that I really like. Good luck and welcome!

Shannon

Hello, Mr. Blues!

I came to the ukulele via a similar path as you, having played guitar, banjo, and mandolin for many years previous. And the uke required some adjusting, because its somewhat laid-back nature was different than other instruments-- after all, with mandolin and banjo, you spend most of your time trying to keep them from overpowering the other instruments. But ain't nobody ever made a ukulele mute.

You'll get endless opinions on strings, almost to the point that you'll wish you didn't get any opinions at all. :) Broadly, I find that ukulele strings mostly break down into two categories: nylon and fluorocarbon. While there are, of course, variations by brand, I find fluorocarbons strings tend to produce a tone that is described as "warm," "mellow" or "refined," whereas nylon tends to get descriptors like "brash, " "loud," or "pointed." Your mileage may vary.

I personally prefer Aquila Nylgut strings (which are nylon). I find that they can be loud and brash when I want them to be, or I can use a lighter touch and dial it back. I find I am in the minority on this board, where there seems to be a strong preference for fluorocarbons. I've often heard the opinion that "Aquilas make a cheap uke sound good and a good uke sound cheap," but this is utter hogwash.

So your best bet is to invest a few bucks in strings until you find the ones you like, but give Aquilas a try. If you use phospohor bronze on your guitar, you probably like brash and bright. And those Thomastik flat-wounds are the best mandolin strings ever!

Living Water flourocarbons are on my better ukes that I like to pick melodies on & sometimes strum, the rest have Aquila nylguts because that's what they came with, but I did try D'Addario titaniums & liked them.

Hello, Mr. Blues!
You'll get endless opinions on strings, almost to the point that you'll wish you didn't get any opinions at all.
I personally prefer Aquila Nylgut strings (which are nylon). I find that they can be loud and brash when I want them to be, or I can use a lighter touch and dial it back. I find I am in the minority on this board, where there seems to be a strong preference for fluorocarbons. I've often heard the opinion that "Aquilas make a cheap uke sound good and a good uke sound cheap," but this is utter hogwash.

My wife's Mainland mahogany concert sounds great with Aquila New Nylgut strings.
I like Worth Browns on my Mainland mahogany tenor.

I am with Rich, in that I don't believe Aquilas are just for cheap ukes.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like I have some experimenting ahead of me over the next few years. But it'll be fun.

Mahogany + Oasis brights= the only two ukes I own with that true bell-like chime that I really like. Shannon

Good to know. I'm sure that I'll get a mahogany tenor one day and will probably try this. The S0 that I have doesn't get a lot of play but, who knows, it might see some action, too.

If you use phospohor bronze on your guitar, you probably like brash and bright. And those Thomastik flat-wounds are the best mandolin strings ever!

I use coated strings on the 000-18 because it's an extremely loud and resonant guitar; to my ears, the Elixers help me control the volume without sacrificing too much tone. On the other hand, I use phosphor/bronze on the D-28 because that's what seems to work best to balance the lows and highs.

* be sure to check out Southcoast
http://southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm
Ralph

Had no idea that these folks were available ... and essentially in my backyard. Thanks for mentioning them!

I prefer Martin fluorocarbons, with Worth strings in second place. It's just so time-consuming to change strings on ukes so I do it every two years. hehe

Petey

My favorite strings are definitely Worth. Give em a try.

To me, those stock Martins on your uke, as well as some other clear flouros are more of a modern sound. In your situation, I'd be trying some D'addario Nyltech strings and La Bella pro series strings. You have super nice instruments, so paying to try some different strings is a very small investment comparably. If you can't find them locally, stringsandbeyond online is a great place. They ship fast and the customer service is top notch.

Since you're coming from the guitar world, let me put this in another way that will make sense to you (me too, I played guitar for years): Clear flouros are more like a Taylor guitar kind of sound, whereas the ones I've recommended lean more Martin...

To me, those stock Martins on your uke, as well as some other clear flouros are more of a modern sound. In your situation, I'd be trying some D'addario Nyltech strings and La Bella pro series strings. You have super nice instruments, so paying to try some different strings is a very small investment comparably. If you can't find them locally, stringsandbeyond online is a great place. They ship fast and the customer service is top notch.

Since you're coming from the guitar world, let me put this in another way that will make sense to you (me too, I played guitar for years): Clear flouros are more like a Taylor guitar kind of sound, whereas the ones I've recommended lean more Martin...

This is terrific guidance! Thanks for the recommendations ... and the great analogy. It's very much appreciated.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Uke! I say follow the great advice you received in the many posts above, and then go out and buy and try every string brand and type you can and let your ears guide you...

Enjoy!

I try all kinds of different flourocarbons on my tenor ukes until I find a custom set that works best. However, its always a compromise between tone, intonation and feel. Right now, I three different brands on my ukes: Worth Clear (high G), Southcoast Medium unwound (C string), and Martin (E and A).

Top Bottom