8-string Strings and tuning for 8 string Baritone

Talking about 8-string ukuleles

kornerqueen

Reaction score
Pete will be building an 8 string baritone for me soon, and thought I might get some input on tunings and strings for it.

If anyone out there has one, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and have a great day.

I wish I could help. My 8-string baritone is a Kamaka, and it still has the original Kamaka strings, tuned DGBE with the D and G strings octaved and the B and E strings paired. I'm interested in the thread because I'll someday need to replace the strings, and while I'm happy with how it sounds with the stock strings, I'd also like to know what my options are.

If I were getting a custom 8-string baritone, I'd ask the builder what he recommends for it and I'd ask him to provide as much information (brand, string guage) as possible for the strings he uses.

We are the builders, but I have not had an eight string baritone before, so I was curious what tuning and strings others are using, before I decide what to try. I can always change them if I don't like the sound.

Aquila makes a set for 8 string Baritones tuned DdGgBBEE. Its a deep chimey sound. Mele make and sell 8 string baritone s as well so you could ask them what they use.

Anthony

I'd chat with Southcoast ukes re: baritone strings. More options re: string diameter and proper tension for baritones. I hear more good things about their bari strings than all others.

Top Bottom