Banjolele Recomendations

TheKlmslim

Reaction score
I've been hunting for a banjolele to buy and need some help, My local music shop has only 1 available, the recording king U25, and it sounds beautiful. They have it listed at 200(which is a little bit more than what I can find online) and they do not provide a setup with the instrument. The one on the floor sounds fantastic with a really nice banjo sound. I would jump right on it and buy it but I hate to buy things without any research or without looking at other options. I've been searching around youtube looking for other people playing them and I have to be honest they just don't sound all that great to me, which I am sure has something to do with the video quality, but its hard for me to gauge the quality and sound difference between the instruments. So I would really love your input on which ones you have heard and which ones you think are best!
Here are the ones I have been looking at,
Goldtone UB1(Lacks the banjo sound from what I can tell, sounds more like a standard Concert uke)

Recording King U25(the only one I have seen in person)

Kmise Banjolele(I know they're super cheap and maybe a little sketchy but people really seem to like them)

Rally Banjolele

Luna (I dont know the Model #, also sounds a bit muted and dull in videos IMO)

Any other brands that you know are welcome! but keep in mind I want to keep the price at or below 200ish dollars. I really want something with a different sound than what I have, so I want it to sound very much like a banjolele.
Thanks guys!!
-Landon

I got a Rally concert banjo uke with the full resonator at a great price. I hated the clear mylar head and I had a calfskin head put on (If I were playing outside much I'd have chosen a Remo Renaissance head). Also had a neat no not tailpiece installed. I think it sounds like a much higher quality banjo uke and have played it with a bluegrass jam group and it easily holds it's own. I use Aquila banjo uke strings.

US $200 will buy you a nice used ukulele banjo on ebay. You probably can get a nice Slingerland for less than 200. In my not so humble opinion they represent much better value than a new Asian model.

Yeah - the Duke really impressed me.

Aside from that - I have played quite a few cheaper banjoleles in my time and i'm afraid to say that most if not all of the cheaper end (The Lunas the Recording Kings etc) have been a let down. I think like resonator ukuleles, banjo ukes are another area where cheap is not necessarily cheerful. ie - you need to spend a reasonable amount to get something that sounds even half decent.

As above - if the budget can't be moved, I would be going used - either a Slingerland or something like the Fluke Firefly.

I do think the Duke 10 though is one of the better sounding 'banjo's' i've played.

Yeah - the Duke really impressed me.

Aside from that - I have played quite a few cheaper banjoleles in my time and i'm afraid to say that most if not all of the cheaper end (The Lunas the Recording Kings etc) have been a let down. I think like resonator ukuleles, banjo ukes are another area where cheap is not necessarily cheerful. ie - you need to spend a reasonable amount to get something that sounds even half decent.

As above - if the budget can't be moved, I would be going used - either a Slingerland or something like the Fluke Firefly.

I do think the Duke 10 though is one of the better sounding 'banjo's' i've played.

Yeah I've seen the videos and they look and sound great. But they're a little pricey for me. Theyre totally worth the money but it's a little out of my price range. I've been told that you can get a decent banjolele for around 200 but I'm beginning to think maybe you're right. I should just save up my money for now.

Yep afraid so - my post was a long winded way of saying 'no, I don't think you can get a decent banjolele for 200'!

As a banjo uke fan, I concur - the closest to $200 that you can get a decent banjo uke for is either a good deal on used, or a Firefly second. That said, even the Firefly, which is a great little instrument, is in a different category to a Deering or Gold Tone for sound and durability.

If it were me (and it has been me in the past), I'd save my money and get a Deering. If you're lucky, you can find a Deering dealer willing to go below street price ($400). I managed to get mine within $150 of your budget including gig bag.

I love my recently acquired Firefly, but it's also the first banjo uke I've owned. I am UAS'ing hard for the Duke 10 though....

If you're going to wait for now and increase your budget, the concert or tenor sized Deering banjoukes is definitely a good option. High quality aside, they probably also have the best resell value of new, non-custom banjoukes, in case you don't get on with it. I bought mine used from a forum member here.

Having tested both the Deering and the Duke 10 - I can honestly say that if I was buying I'd get the Duke. I know Deering have incredible banjo heritage, but it's about twice the weight of the Duke and more expensive. Personally, when it comes to tone between the two, I don't think there is anything between them.

I like Deering's weight and see it as a plus when playing seated. It sits very solidly on top of the leg (and probably belly) and doesn't slip. I have no experience with the duke, though.

yeah, I can see that and I guess banjo's ARE heavier. The Duke is remarkable though

Having tested both the Deering and the Duke 10 - I can honestly say that if I was buying I'd get the Duke. I know Deering have incredible banjo heritage, but it's about twice the weight of the Duke and more expensive. Personally, when it comes to tone between the two, I don't think there is anything between them.

I haven't had a chance to try the Duke, but I really like the feel of the neck on both of my Deering instruments. And in my case, the Deering was less expensive - the local dealer sold it to me with gig bag for $330 (typically runs $400 for the uke and $80 for the bag). The price I got may be related to the fact that I've sold at least 10 ukes and 1 banjo uke for him by referrals, and bought several instruments there myself.

However, if you say they are close on tone... There is a kid at the school where I teach uke who wants a banjo bad - I'll have to let his parents know about the Duke.

In the FWIW category of life I want to suggest again DPO's suggestion of a used vintage Slingerland. I think I paid about $150 for mine and it has travelled to Madagascar and Kenya with me. It is a workhorse, even with its narrow neck at the nut. I have modified it in 2 ways - Gotoh planetary tuners and a bridge that gives me standard soprano uke string spacing for the right hand.
Another suggestion is to get a modest vintage tenor banjo - I use a 1924 Gibson Tenor Jr. - and string it as a baritone, mine is dGBE, and I love the sound and playability. It is strung with Aquila reds from a 5 string banjo and I use the g of gDBD tuning to give me the re-entrant g.

Have fun

Top Bottom