Bruko & Centennial

More pics. Martin is mahogany neck with Morado fretboard on top. Bruko is 1 pc maple, no extra fretboard. Frets laid right into the 1 pc neck, like a Fender maple board electric guitar. Notice different string string angle from nuts to tuners, break angle on the Bruko is much shallower, gotta wind those strings way to the bottom of the tuner shaft.

20170516_142015.jpg
20170516_142051.jpg

Last edited:
You've got a couple of beauties there. Do they play similar?

You've got a couple of beauties there. Do they play similar?

The Bruko tone is just a bit thinner, less low end than the Martin. Still a wonderful tone though, very clear. The Martin action is a bit lower, very playable, as was the Bamboo I sent back. The Bruko action, with 1 piece bridge, is higher at the 12th fret, as many have noted. That's OK for me, right now. The Bruko is also a bit louder.

IMO, the Martin is basically just an S-1, with a premium price for the Centennial label, black tuners, black nut & saddle, and Martin logo on the back of the headstock. To me, the Bruko woods seem to be much higher quality looking, the Martin wood just average. Not sure what it is, but I just love playing the Bruko, compared to the Martin. Some ukes just grab you.

Last edited:
I have similar thoughts when comparing my Brüko and Kiwaya. The Brüko has a less complex sound, I think thinner is a good description. And it's not quite as loud--but it's plenty loud enough. I'm going to try different strings on it this week and see if I can get the sound closer to the Kiwaya.

That said, when actually playing instead of comparing, they sound similar. I have the Brüko strung linear, tuned a full step down, and it's lush. And as you said, it's a joy to play. I personally wish the neck were thinner, but it's wide enough, and while a Brüko #2 neck caused pain to my thumb, which I shattered last year, the concert is fine.

I often think of selling it and concentrating on the soprano scale. Then I play it and can't give it up. There are also enough times that I need linear tuning that I don't think it will be leaving me any time soon.

The Bruko tone is just a bit thinner, less low end than the Martin. Still a wonderful tone though, very clear. The Martin action is a bit lower, very playable, as was the Bamboo I sent back. The Bruko action, with 1 piece bridge, is higher at the 12th fret, as many have noted. That's OK for me, right now. The Bruko is also a bit louder.

IMO, the Martin is basically just an S-1, with a premium price for the Centennial label, black tuners, black nut & saddle, and Martin logo on the back of the headstock. To me, the Bruko woods seem to be much higher quality looking, the Martin wood just average. Not sure what it is, but I just love playing the Bruko, compared to the Martin. Some ukes just grab you.

Top Bottom