New Stuff From Ono

saltytri

Reaction score
Here are a few things that I've been up to. First, this sander has proven to be useful for shaping necks. The basic format has been around for a long time and I realized that one could be put together easily and at low cost. I already had the 4.5" drum but these are readily available on the internet. All the other parts came from my local Ace hardware. The drum and roller are mounted on a 1' length of 1/2" all-thread. The roller uses a couple of cheap bearings that happen to press fit into a piece of drain pipe. It is easy to control and seems to work best at very low speed. This has the benefit that it doesn't throw sawdust around but just lets it drop into a neat pile on the floor.

33909128953_59b1fae43a_z.jpg
\

33909130883_8cb41e1ed8_z.jpg

34678320546_150b730b88_z.jpg

I've started to use CNC to cut fret slots. When done this way, the slots don't need to go all the way across the fret board so the fret ends can be finished as if the board were bound. This means that the tangs don't show so the look can be a lot cleaner.

34678312496_07cb9669cd_z.jpg

33876860284_57b8d39dd9_z.jpg

Last are a couple of projects that are under way, a Bolivian rosewood tenor and a myrtle concert.

33909143623_d170ae1bc2_z.jpg

34678326806_4d33cef9b3_z.jpg

33909140543_73967ab7ac_z.jpg

34678321626_db8f72f1a5_z.jpg

Fabulous looking Ukes, David ... thanks for sharing.

Love it! You are continually finding innovative ways to improve your processes and putting our even better and better ukes. And Ono was already among the best values out there. Keep it coming!!

Thanks, Eddie. One other new item that isn't shown here is the slotted headstock that will go on the Bolivian rosewood tenor, which is the first example of a special edition called the "Wahoo Tenor". The slot head will be available only as one of its premium features and will include the very elegant Rubner tuners.

I love the look of the fret ends "rebated" as such, very smart. That myrtle is curly delicious.......wow, wow, wow!!! Great looking instruments David.

It just keeps getting better! :shaka:

Very cool David! A great builder is never satisfied. Clever fret slot operation, eliminating binding.
I really enjoy seeing some the details of how you make your wonderful ukes. Thanks for showing us your new processes.

Thanks, Eddie. One other new item that isn't shown here is the slotted headstock that will go on the Bolivian rosewood tenor, which is the first example of a special edition called the "Wahoo Tenor". The slot head will be available only as one of its premium features and will include the very elegant Rubner tuners.

Cannot wait to see that!!! :drool:

Cannot wait to see that!!! :drool:

Eddie, I was feeling guilty about making you wait so I stuck the neck on temporarily. The finish is still in progress but you'll get the idea.

This is one of those really nice master grade Sitka tops with even silking across the whole width.

33918010523_d3e77e310c_z.jpg

34687193766_ea71a474e4_z.jpg

34342861990_87ed81a969_z.jpg

Last edited:
nice ukes David...the curl on the myrtle super nice!! congrats

Eddie, I was feeling guilty about making you wait so I stuck the neck on temporarily. The finish is still in progress but you'll get the idea.

This is one of those really nice master grade Sitka tops with even silking across the whole width.

Wonderful! But to really check it out I'll need you to send it to me. You've got the address ;-)

....never satisfied....

Well, Hodge, I think I've satisfied any compulsive urge to play with my CAD software after programming all eleven fret board variations that I use! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom