Are you drawn to koa ukes? ... a koa junkie? Show your stash.

Offically envious

I love the look of koa but few koa ukes -- especially koa-topped ones -- really grab me in the tone department. Obviously, there are some luthiers who really can deliver the tone from koa (and you've got some great sounding ones!), I just have not found the one for me, yet.

Did you see the amazing koa Eric DeVine posted on facebook a week or so ago? It was crazy.

Hey Hodge you had asked "Show your Stash". I only have two koa ukes, both are Kamakas. A 100th anniversary baritone and a super concert. They look like big brother and little brother standing together

20170518_175631.jpg20170518_175705.jpg

KoAloha concert hanging out before our Rocky Mountain Ukulele Orchestra concert earlier this month.IMG_1949.jpg

I love the look of koa but few koa ukes -- especially koa-topped ones -- really grab me in the tone department. Obviously, there are some luthiers who really can deliver the tone from koa (and you've got some great sounding ones!), I just have not found the one for me, yet.

Did you see the amazing koa Eric DeVine posted on facebook a week or so ago? It was crazy.

Yes, that koa Eric posted was exceptional.
IMG_0840.jpg

I've found great tone in many types of wood, but koa wood really has worked well for tone and beauty in my collection of ukes. Koa remains my favorite.

Last edited:
Need to update my pics, but I am fan the Acacia family of woods in general, which of course encompasses Hawaiian Koa. My only current Uke meeting that criteria is the Martin C1K which I just love the Satin lacquer finish over the Hawaiian Koa which feels as good as it looks and sounds. But truth be told, I can be swayed by many other wood species too for their sound and eye appeal. The KoAloha Opio's new Acacia has won me over too, so much so, I have one on-order.

Yeah, like I'm supposed to post a pic of my Koa uke after you posted picture of those! I'll show you mine if you show me your's.....lol

Need to update my pics, but I am fan the Acacia family of woods in general, which of course encompasses Hawaiian Koa. My only current Uke meeting that criteria is the Martin C1K which I just love the Satin lacquer finish over the Hawaiian Koa which feels as good as it looks and sounds. But truth be told, I can be swayed by many other wood species too for their sound and eye appeal. The KoAloha Opio's new Acacia has won me over too, so much so, I have one on-order.

Check out the acacia on that KPK I'm trying to trade in the Marketplace.

Check out the acacia on that KPK I'm trying to trade in the Marketplace.

Haha! I was about to go looking for a pic of my only "koa" uke - also KPK acacia - um, I don't think I'll bother. ;)

Wow, very jealous.

This is all I have. My KoAloha. However, I am obsessed with koa ukes.
WwOoCSW.jpg

Last edited:
I'll play

IMG_1738.jpgIMG_1740.jpg

Top : koaloha, Kanilea, Kamaka (concert)
Bottom: DeVine, Kanilea (Concert)

Nope, & nope, don't have any, don't want any, so can't show any.........you did ask. ;)

My preference is good old mahogany, & cedar - I love a mellow tone. :)

Is that a Moore Bettah soprano?!

I only have one Koa, a Kanile'a K-2 CP and one Acacia, an Islander AC-4...
IMG_20150513_191248842.jpg
IMG_20170122_123027707~3.jpg

Used to have a Martin C1K...
IMG_1433.jpg

oh yeah, and a Kala KA-KSLNG...
IMG_20151222_153626004.jpg

Last edited:
I'll play

View attachment 100357View attachment 100358

Top : koaloha, Kanilea, Kamaka (concert)
Bottom: DeVine, Kanilea (Concert)
Nice collection! Had to make the photos larger.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Is that a Moore Bettah soprano?!

I only have one Koa, a Kanile'a K-2 CP and one Acacia, an Islander AC-4...
View attachment 100380
View attachment 100381

Used to have a Martin C1K...
View attachment 100382

oh yeah, and a Kala KA-KSLNG...
View attachment 100383

Nice group of koa & acacia.

Yes, that is a Moore Bettah soprano. Only soprano I own and play, sounds a great as it looks.

Nope, & nope, don't have any, don't want any, so can't show any.........you did ask. ;)

My preference is good old mahogany, & cedar - I love a mellow tone. :)

Glad to see I'm not alone. I listened to so many sound samples of the lower voiced ukes made from many different tonewoods before deciding what to buy. I wish I thought koa sounds as nice as it looks. But I had to go with my ears, and wound up getting an all mahogany baritone and a cedar/mahogany tenor. I guess it's a good thing that my ears don't have expensive tastes. But koa is so pretty. Ordinary acacia just reminds me of my patio furniture, though. ;-)

bratsche

Top Bottom