Wooden Pegs on 20s Wolverine (Martin made Style 0)

sigsweetheart

Reaction score
Hello!

Total newbie here and it was suggested that I post my questions here.

Just found an old ukulele marked Wolverine which I understand was made by Martin in the early 20s. I think we're original owners as I was told it's been in the family for 90 years, mostly forgotten. Nobody can recall it being played... And it's in surprisingly good condition for sitting for at least the last 70 of those years. (It's been stored in an old soft canvas case - which is showing it's age - for that long.) I am going to have it cleaned up and restrung, but for now, that is the only work I am having done.

Anyway, the ukulele has wooden violin pegs. How difficult will it be for me to learn to play this instrument with these tuners? I want to enjoy it and learn to play, but conflicted if I should consider changing out the pegs for something that is easier to use? I don't want to devalue it.

And secondly, anybody have any rough idea of it's value? I won't be selling, but would love to know it's worth. Wondering if it holds the same value as a stamped Martin of the same era or more because it is rarer. According to the "The Martin Ukulele" book by Tom Walsh and John King, there were only 90 of these produced between '22 and '24. (Still reading my way through the book to learn more...)

I look forward to hearing the collective thoughts and opinions of this group!

I have a Martin Style 2 circa 1918 with wooden pegs. It plays great, and isn't too hard to tune with a snark and a little practice. My tip: tuning with two hands - one hand bracing the peghead and the other turning the peg. Actually, you don't just rotate the peg, you pull out and then push the peg inward as you turn & tune. That's why having that other hand on the peghead is helpful, it gives you something to push against. It takes a some practice but I find wooden pegs as reliable as friction tuners. Of course they have been using wooden peg tuners for centuries.

Good luck, and enjoy those wonderful bar frets. Don't be afraid to get the fret ends dressed if they are rough. Expect to pay around $100 but it may be necessary to make it playable. And don't swap out those tuners...you can master them with practice...

As for the value, call Bernunzio's. I would guess about a thousand plus or minus $500. Won't be worth as much if you take out the tuners, though.

Last edited:
Appreciate your response! And the vote of confidence regarding learning to master the tuners! I will reach out to Bernunzio's for an appraisal as well.

Top Bottom