How long do unused metal wound strings keep?

Lillymo

Reaction score
I don't change strings very often. Are metal wound low G strings effected by exposure to air and humidity? Is it better to purchase them shortly before using them? I suspect proper storage can make a difference - any tips?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depending on the metal and the storage conditions, the metal can corrode, eventually sufficiently to allow the windings to part and unravel. If there's no significant evidence of corrosion on the metal, the strings will be fine, except possibly if they've been stored in full sunlight for an extended period of time and the core material has deteriorated due to UV exposure.

Keep them in a zip-lock plastic bag in a drawer and you'll be fine ;)

:music:

I haven't used wound strings, do they last longer than, say fluorocarbon? I change strings about every 6 mos. on ukes I play a lot, yearly on others. You'd be surprised how much better your uke sound with new strings.

This all brings up another question, how long do new, unused fluorocarbons last, stored at room temperature in the packets?

This all brings up another question, how long do new, unused fluorocarbons last, stored at room temperature in the packets?

I don't know about fluorocarbon strings, but fluorocarbon fishing line (which is probably the same thing) is perfectly good after several years on it's spool in my fishing bag. I only use it for leaders, so a 25yd spool lasts a long time. I've not yet had a failure that I could attribute to age!

I don't know about fluorocarbon strings, but fluorocarbon fishing line (which is probably the same thing) is perfectly good after several years on it's spool in my fishing bag. I only use it for leaders, so a 25yd spool lasts a long time. I've not yet had a failure that I could attribute to age!

yeah, but how does it sound? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

While I don't use wound strings on my ukes, I do on my guitars. I have string sets that I've had for years in unopened packages, and opened them up and put them on instruments and they sound sparkly and new. So my guess would be a long, long, time. I even got a set of 1930's strings stuck in the case of a vintage banjo. I put them on and they sounded great, too!

Top Bottom