Tenor Low G strings

Nibby

Reaction score
I picked up a Mele tenor while in Maui last week and I am on my 2nd set of strings. Neither set has felt right to me and I could use some advice on getting the right strings. I didn't like the stock set so I put on some Aquila nylgut low G's. I guess I am not used to the metal G string as it just doesn't feel or sound right to me. For comparison I have a Flea soprano with high G Aquila nylgut's and a KoAloha tenor strung with the low G fluorocarbon strings they came with. I really like the feel of both of these.

Should I just stick with the low G Wound Aquila's? Is this something that most would get used to and prefer?

Any other suggestions on strings that would be comparable to my other ukes? From what I can find the KoAloha strings are Worth fluorocarbon. I found these sold at The Ukulele site but the packaging shows a 63 inch string and I have no idea what that means.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am still pretty new at this and really don't know very much yet. Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of Aquila reds, but I really like Aquila Super Nylgut tenor with low G.

Hi there. I also bought a Mele ukulele when I was in Maui last year. I also dislike the stock strings. I also dislike the Nylgut wound low G string. Here are some options that I've tried.

Aquila Red low G string with Nylgut other strings - This might be the best for strumming the low G sound is a bit muted, so not as good for finger picking. This is what I currently have on my tenor.
Freemont soloist with Nylgut other strings - I love the soloist, especially for finger picking. I would take it over the Red. Just make sure it is tied securely. My knot came undone and I couldn't get it done up again, which is why I currently have the Red string on.
All fluorocarbon - I have a set of strings sitting there ready for when I get around to changing them, but I haven't tried them yet.

FWIW my Mele uke is a mango concert, and I've currently got it strung with Aquila Red high G. It sounds great!

Worth strings come in double length packs, so you get two sets of strings when you buy them - that's what the length measurement refers to. If you like the Worths I say get the Worths. They're a very popular string.

My Baritone came with Aquila strings with wound G and D strings. I was very disappointed with them. The wound strings very quickly started to wear at the frets. I've replaced them with Living Water Fluorocarbons and I'm much happier. I don't have a problem with the regular Nylgut strings and generally leave them on till they need replacing. I prefer fluorocarbon strings and most of my other ukuleles have either Living Water or Worth Clears both of which are good. That includes low Gs. You can get single low G Worth strings if you want to just change the G string.

full disclosure:

No matter what strings I put on, the low G is always a Fremont.
but, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm about to put on a wound G and C from Thomastik Infield...because people do rave about them. I'll let you know.

Last edited:
My favorite low-g string is the one from the Aquila Reds set. A close second is the Fremont Soloist. Can't stand plain low-g strings, they sound dead to me. But, you already have a preference, so I'd try the plain low-g strings from a
Living Water or Worth. (If you must. ;))

Thanks for all the responses. I just ordered the Fremont Soloist to try. If that doesn't work for me I will try some of the other recommendations.

Unfortunately an excellent string combination for one ukulele sometimes doesn't work well with another ukulele.

In my opinion, fluorocarbons can brighten up most ukuleles and make them easier to play (fluorocarbons tend to be lower tension vs nylon). Fluorocarbons add somewhat of a "pop" vs traditional nylon strings. I used to be a die-hard Worth CT fan for all my tenor ukuleles but now prefer to string up my Kamaka HF-3 with D'addario carbon strings, EJ99T (slightly higher tension vs. Worth CT).

If you prefer a more mellow tone, I highly recommend GHS custom shop low-G set (TU LOW G SET), nylon. This set is wound G & C strings and is what I prefer on my Martin 1T.

Last edited:
I have found Pepe Romero's low g to be quite nice.

For those who may want to experiment with low G, lucysukulele on eBay has a low-G 3-pack for $10.00, consisting of (1) Fremont Soloist (wound), (1) flouro Blackline, and (1) clear flouro.

My Aquila Red Low-G string just broke overnight while my ukulele was in the case. So this post comes at the perfect time... thank you.

Top Bottom