Cq, cq, cq. Calling all ukulele playing amateur radio operators

In case you don't already have the words to this song, here they are - and good luck getting your license. :)

CQ Serenade

Dah-di-dah-dit, dah-dah-di-dah
Whaddya hear, over the air:
CQ Serenade.

So you don’t know just what it means
Dust your shoes off, shake out your jeans
Get on your feet, jump to the beat
Of CQ Serenade.

CQ - has gone and brought us a new rhythm
That’s swinging all the cats by the ear,
Let’s do ourselves a favour and get with ‘em;
You’ll find you get the message, man you’ll hear it come in loud and clear

Doesn’t matter what words you sing
Just remember the beat’s the thing
Get on the beam, carry the theme
Of CQ Serenade.

Whaddya hear, over the air:
CQ Serenade.

Amateurs on the radio
Picked it up and then made it grow,
Spread it around, swelling the sound
Of CQ Serenade.

From India a call to the U.S.A.:
I’m reading you, you’re coming through fine;
From Canada to France and the old U.K.
For when it comes to radio the world’s one great big party line

Tune in anywhere on the band
Any corner of any land
Let’s “put it there” right on the air
With CQ Serenade.

Makes a fellow feel “lah-dee-dah”
When he unbends, making new friends
With CQ Serenade.

Clap your hands, pal, and tap your feet
Till we all dig the friendly beat,
Till all you hear over the air
Is CQ Serenade.

It really doesn’t matter at all -CQ-
How smooth you make the signals combine;
And anyone can answer the call -CQ-
Just make with the receiver and get on the CQ party line

Take your cue from the radio
Even “beatnicks” go “do dee do”
It’s everywhere, filling the air
That CQ Serenade.

Yes!

The world needs more ukulele playing Hams, looking forward to hearing you on the air.

KE1LF

If I can convince my mom to let me get a license, then yes, I will keep your call sign in mind. If you can, I would like to hear you or any other ukulele playing hams play that one. I also want to learn the chords if possible. I think is you'll have to tell me what chords to use at what part of the song. If possible, you can put a YouTube tutorial up so I can learn it. I learn better with audio than with just words. I will probably be calling CQ on a Symplex when I get licensed.

My first hobby before Ukulele playing came along... Licensed Ham since 1978. Started as a novice with a Heathkit HW-101 and a homemade en-fed wire from a window to a tree working mostly 20 meters CW. Worked great those old boat anchors did! Had a general class for sometime than finally upgraded to an extra class to shorten my callsign down to 2x1. Though last time I posted my callsign on a message board I got all sorts of weird mailings to my listed address, mostly targeted-ads, and then some individual funny ones, and a few obscenely obscure! So I refrain from posting my call...

Added: I now mostly operate mobile HF with a Yaesu FT-857 and matching power Yaesu mobile antenna. Works great with QSO's around the world from my car...

Den

Last edited:
My first hobby before Ukulele playing came along... Licensed Ham since 1978. Started as a novice with a Heathkit HW-101 and a homemade en-fed wire from a window to a tree working mostly 20 meters CW. Worked great those old boat anchors did! Had a general class for sometime than finally upgraded to an extra class to shorten my callsign down to 2x1. Though last time I posted my callsign on a message board I got all sorts of weird mailings to my listed address, mostly targeted-ads, and then some individual funny ones, and a few obscenely obscure! So I refrain from posting my call...

Added: I now mostly operate mobile HF with a Yaesu FT-857 and matching power Yaesu mobile antenna. Works great with QSO's around the world from my car...

Den

That's neat i'm probably going to be spending time with a mic at one side of me and uke on the other. Lol.

If I can convince my mom to let me get a license, then yes, I will keep your call sign in mind. If you can, I would like to hear you or any other ukulele playing hams play that one. I also want to learn the chords if possible. I think is you'll have to tell me what chords to use at what part of the song. If possible, you can put a YouTube tutorial up so I can learn it. I learn better with audio than with just words. I will probably be calling CQ on a Symplex when I get licensed.

A ham license is good for 10 years so let your mom know what a great long term value it is. As far as song chords go, I'm the worst person to ask. Perhaps someone here with more skills can help both of us with the chords?

A ham license is good for 10 years so let your mom know what a great long term value it is. As far as song chords go, I'm the worst person to ask. Perhaps someone here with more skills can help both of us with the chords?

+1. To which I will add go to ARRL.NET and look up an ARRL affiliated Ham Radio club in your area. Clubs are great way to interact and most of all learn. Clubs will also offer licensing exams to help you earn your "ticket" aka FCC Ham Radio Licesne. Another positive with clubs is they have all sorts of operating activities where you can get a chance to operate. ARRL Field Day is held every year and most clubs participate and set up a "GOTA" (Get on the Air) station where you can operate a radio even if not licensed yet, under the license of a supervising Ham who monitors the station with either their callsign or the club's license callsign. Field days are fun and informative.

Good luck and have fun!

I am learning a little bit now By chatting with a friend of another friend. His name is Joseph and he got his license earlier this year. Unfortunately, he doesn't live in my area. I don't want to give his call sign out like that or else I get in trouble. I will definitely look that up.

Top Bottom