Video with a Phone Only?

ash13brook

Reaction score
I know there's a sub-forum about video and audio, but I was afraid I'd only get answers that were maybe too technical for me.
So, can you make a passable video using only a phone? Some videos I see look like they were recorded in cars, kitchens, patios... Is everyone setting up a small studio in these places to record?
I don't want to get involved with mics and pre-amps and other stuff that I don't know anything about, have room to leave set up, or think I would be ambitious enough to set up to record one video. Plus, I might look at the first one and say "I'm out..." Then I'd have even more stuff that I don't need.

Thanks all,
Matt

Depends on your goals, but I think iPhone video quality is perfectly fine for YouTube. Audio perhaps less so but with some editing can also be passable. It's certainly a great place to start if you already have the phone and aren't sure you'll stick with it. Editing on the phone can be a problem depending on your hardware. I had Pinnacle Studio and it was pretty painful on an iPhone 4s but I did get through a few projects with it. I'm now using LumaFusion on an iPad Air 2 and it is much, much better.

Mobile phones, both iPhone and Android make acceptable videos these days. Both the video and audio quality is much better than it used to be. In fact, they are better than a web cam on a PC whose audio, in particular is usually pretty poor. There are Apps for editing. I use Movie Pro on the iPad which was free and has basic editing capability and I imagine there will be an iPhone version. Android used to be much less well provided than Apple but I believe it's catching up. Search for video editors on play store.

Yes, it is perfectly do-able. I normally use my laptop with a webcam and a decent microphone, but when I go away anywhere, my videos for the Seasons challenges have to be done on my phone. It is a fairly basic Android phone, but the quality, both picture & sound, is pretty good. The video can be uploaded straight to YouTube, and there is an option to trim off bits at the start and finish before it is published, although I have never bothered.

Thanks all. I'll give it a try. I need to get a tripod or tripod attachment, which I assume I can get at Wally World.
Is this going to make feel like I need to shave more regularly? I'd hate to start acting too respectably at 63 years old. My wife might rethink letting me get away with drinking beer on Saturday mornings.
YorkSteve - the Seasons is what I'm thinking of getting involved with.

Thanks,
Matt

No need to buy a tripod, or anything else for that matter, one of the Seasons most prolific posters just props it up some where, & another tapes it to the door!
I started out just using a laptop's webcam & mic, wasn't good, but then nor was I, but it was a start - see you in the Seasons sometime.

I just want to add the suggestion that you turn your phone sideways, not upright. The video fills the entire screen for someone watching on their computer or TV and on a phone or tablet turned sideways, but if it's upright, people watching on a computer or TV will only get 1/3 of the size.

Last edited:
Your phone's camera and audio are likely many times better than what could have been done on professional equipment 8 years ago.

Some thoughts: with an iPhone, you can even make a decent edited video using iMovie for iOS, without using a computer.

To hold your phone, I suggest the new Glif from Studio Neat. I have owned several generations of Glif mounts--this is the best. https://www.studioneat.com/products/glif

An investment of a camera tripod is all that is needed for the Glif.

If you want better audio, any USB microphone can be added to an iPhone (that is what I have--cannot speak to Android) using the USB camera connection kit.

But let's be honest...you are preparing for fun and a relatively small audience. The chance that anything you make will go viral is unlikely--which is okay. Share your art. Share where you are at.

I also recommend turning comments off--it is amazing how mean and rude people can be hiding behind their computers.

I used my iPhone 6 with a tripod until recently, when my employer generously bought an iPad Pro for me. Either one works great; the iPad video camera is terrific. I continue debating whether to get an external mic, because the built-in picks up everything. An external would help highlight vocals (if that's your bag).

The advances in video phone cameras over the past five years are jaw-dropping. And the free or built-in software makes it a breeze to upload. Have fun and have at it!

I also recommend turning comments off--it is amazing how mean and rude people can be hiding behind their computers.

If you are joining the Seasons, leave comments on. It is also amazing how supportive and encouraging people can be.

This was done a while back from my (Android) phone, outside, in the wind, with a ukulele that could not be tuned all the way.

My future videos have been recorded with the computer, because when we replaced my old phone with a new used one, the front-facing camera never worked so I couldn't see what it was seeing to get everything lined up.

To hold your phone, I suggest the new Glif from Studio Neat. I have owned several generations of Glif mounts--this is the best. https://www.studioneat.com/products/glif

An investment of a camera tripod is all that is needed for the Glif.

That looks sweet! I ordered a full set. It looks much more secure and flexible than the one I currently use.

I've done a few recordings with my iPhone 6S. The sound quality is very poor... mines cuts in and out. Sounds like others have had better luck.

I have always left comments on and have only ever had one negative comment on nearly 700 videos and that was more of a critical comment than a nasty one.

It's worth trying - what do you have to lose? The last time I tried using a phone I was disappointed in the sound quality, and given the amount of time it took me to get a decent take, my phone got very hot and ran out of space pretty fast. But that was a couple years ago.

I invested in a cheap Zoom Q2HD video recorder and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Q2HD-Handy-Recorder-Batteries/dp/B008TVGUJC/

It was $99 when it was still available. If I had any problems with it, or got the itch to upgrade, I'd go for the new $159 Q2n:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Q2n-Handy-Video-Recorder/dp/B01MTJ20QY/

They do HD great without lagging or skipping and they're specifically made to record practices, gigs, and concerts. Plus they have HDMI out, so you can easily plug it into a TV so that you can see what's going to be recorded. With a decent SD card you can just let it run for several hours, which means start it up, then leave it alone and focus on your playing. You can always chop up the video later.

With a phone there's always the chance someone will call or some notification will interrupt your recording.

I invested in a cheap Zoom Q2HD video recorder and love it. If I had any problems with it, or got the itch to upgrade, I'd go for the new $159 Q2n.

You think that's bad? My camera is still the zoom q3:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Q3-Recorder-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002J95GVI/ref=sr_1_cc_1

Max resolution 640x480 is grainy and terrible in low light. Still, it does the job for YouTube and the audio is really not bad at all. Lately I've started extracting the audio and giving it just a quick touch up (low pass filter, noise gate, level raise) before splicing back into the video before uploading.

That Q2n looks like a good upgrade.

Lighting. It's all Voit the lighting. Plenty of light. Think you've got enough...add more light.

Top Bottom