Any other unwound low G's to try?

LimuHead

Reaction score
I want to switch to an unwound low G on my tenor & concert ukes.

I have the Aquila red on one uke and a set of low G PHD strings are currently on my performing uke. I also just ordered a low G set from Living Water to try.

I tried the Worth low G many years ago (more than a decade) but found them too floppy. Have they improved the tension on their low G over the last several years?

Can anyone recommend other unwound low G strings I should try?

Much mahalos!
Aldon

Southcoast ukes have some linear sets that I like.

Ralph

My KPK came with a Savarez unwound low G and it works well but I don't know the exact model/specs. Lower tension but not too floppy. This is a 15.5" scale concert. Well, actually soprano long neck but the scale is squarely in concert territory.

Last edited:
I would think that Living Waters strings (in the UK) would have them, too...purchased an all fluorocarbon set for my Baritone ukulele...and yes, Ken ships worldwide.

You could also order stock sets from Koaloha...my Opio came with low G tenor fluorocarbon strings. Love them. (Also bought that one from Mim).

Not sure why you want only unwound suggestions, but if the typical squeak of wound strings it it, then try either Fremont soloist or the Thomastik Infield low G strings. Both of these are polished and essentially squeak-free. They also have much better tension and tone in my opinion. They are all I use! Both of these brands are normally available from HMS.

Savarez KF 95 is the best I've found.

Fremont Blackline is an all unwound linear set that I think works nicely. Like Worth, they take some time to stretch, but after that, the tension feels right to me. Plus, they are inexpensive.

My KPK came with a Savarez unwound low G and it works well but I don't know the exact model/specs. Lower tension but not too floppy. This is a 15.5" scale concert.

I also like Savarez strings. I use the 3rd string from a classical guitar set as my low G. It is .040 inches. D'Addario have single classical guitar strings at my local music store. $1.65 Canadian, tax included. I have a tenor size.

I've tried many, many strings for low D on my baris and low G on my sop and have not found one unwound that I'm happy with (not nylon or fluorocarb). They always seem fat and floppy to me. I never liked wound strings but now use T-I wound on my Bari and a Freemont soloist wound on my sop. Like Phil said, they are very nice. I disliked the squeak of wound strings but these are very squeakless and have nice tension. I've never gone back to an unwound on my linear tuned ukes.

I have Living Water low G on my concert and LW low D on my bari. In neither case do I find them floppy. A little fat, yes but not floppy. I also got single worth low G for my concert Risa Stick and I don't find that floppy either.

Top Bottom