G3 C3 E3 A3. Is such a thing possible

Jovian

Reaction score
Recently tuned the a in my tenor to A3 and quite liked the sound but way too floppy, got me wondering if it was possible to tune a uke G3 C3 E3 A3.

Or some variation thereof.

Look forward to peoples thoughts.

Aquila's GCEA baritone set (23U) is tuned like that.
But I don't think it will work on a tenor scale - it's already quite floppy on the baritone IMHO.

Buy a bass guitar, capo it on the second or third fret and retune to suit ... or is that an octave too low?

:music:

Reentrant C an octave down. Hmm, yeah I guess it's possible, but it will be a challenge finding strings. Fro my reading, it seems like the Aquila 23U is standard high g tuning which is G4 C4 E4 A4. If you really meant an octave down for all strings, I agree a baritone scale will be a must and you're probably going to have to get a special nut to accommodate the thicker strings.

My 6 string is tuned g cC E aA which is a bit like cuatro tuning but with a high G. (Some will go for G cC E aA on a 6 string) When I bought the 6 string I asked was the low A a low G string tuned up a tone and he said yes. Obviously tuning your existing A string down an octave is going to make it floppy but why not replace it with a low G string and tune it up to A?

Obviously tuning your existing A string down an octave is going to make it floppy but why not replace it with a low G string and tune it up to A?

Yeah, the G3 and A3 strings aren't the hard part. It's the C3 - if that was really meant. That's a step below a baritone 4th string. I can be proven wrong, but I don't think that's going to work on tenor scale.

Yeah, the G3 and A3 strings aren't the hard part. It's the C3 - if that was really meant. That's a step below a baritone 4th string. I can be proven wrong, but I don't think that's going to work on tenor scale.

If that's what he meant then I agree. Taking the C string down an octave on a tenor just isn't going to sound right. Taking the A string down - as per cuatro tuning will, though. With a suitable A string, of course.

Top Bottom