Kala KA-TG "To Gloss or not to Gloss??"

Coggo67

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Short time forum lurker, 1st time poster.

I will be in Hawaii in a few weeks & am looking to purchase a "budget" tenor uke from MGM.

I am a raw beginner with no other musical experience, who currently is trying to learn on a Lanikai Soprano pinapple (bought at the uke shop at the Aloha tower on a previous trip - they "saw us coming") Live and learn.

The fret spacing is just too small for me

I will probably get either the KA-T or KA-TG, which run @ about $200 AUD from MGM.

I really do like the look of the gloss finish but will it affect the tone, etc compared to the matte finish. Or being a laminated body, will there be little to no difference?

Also, is there much of a sound difference between either of the above mentioned ukes and the KA-ASMT, which I would ideally like to get. But at over $300 AUD, I don't think the Chief Minister of War & Finance (AKA "The Wife") will approve the expenditure. :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:
I have the KA-T and have played the gloss version and I think the sound is a little muted by the gloss finish with the same strings on that Uke (Aquilla's) but both sound nice.

A couple weeks back I went in and side by side tested/played the KA-T and the ASMT both with Aquilla strings. I was lookin to get another budget Tenor to have a High and Low g (yes I have a high g maple/spruce top Kala and uas, But these are my play outside in the low Denver humidity Ukes) But I di-gress back to the topic....

The sound was fuller from the ASMT but not as much as I was expecting after playin a Pono all Mahogany Tenor, so I ended up goin with the KA-T and am goin to put the extra $$$$ in my KoAloha Tenor fund!!!!

Thanks Freedive.
So in your opinion, is the ASMT worth the $100 price difference for a new player? (not sure on the exact price as MGM doesn't have any listed at the moment)

Cheers,

Ian

I have the gloss finish and like it, however I don't have the regular as a comparison.(Id get the gloss again though)it kinda protects it too.
I think if I had to make the decision again i would get a solid top, from what I hear its worth the little extra.

Thanks Liquid
I have read the solid top is a better sound, but the only one close to my budget is the KA-ST, and I'm not a big fan of the lighter coloured wood. I would prefer a more traditional looking uke.
Cheers,

Ian

Hey Coggo67,
Have you checked ouy the Royal solid Mahogany ukt3 they have at acoustic centre in Melbs?I have one in mint condition if your'e interseted.Satin finish tenor in low g or high.PM me.
razzle.

Hi Razzle,

As a coincidence I was in there today, as well as last week. I had looked at what I thought was a Kala ASMT (it looks the same as the Royal - are they from the same factory / rebranded)? However today, it was gone.

PM'd you.

Cheers,

Ian

Top Bottom