daily maintenance- wiping them down?

valde002

Reaction score
Was just reading a care and maintenance page on a manufacturer's website and it said to wipe down the strings and fretboard after each use because of oils that may ruin the frets and get on the strings.

I might be kinda lazy...but I don't ever really wipe down my ukes. One that I bought had scratches from a polishing cloth it looks like, so I just put them away in their own case. Of course my hands are fairly clean when I pick them up.

What do you all do?

I wipe it down with a damp cloth when it starts looking grungy.

Ha! I clean mine once a year. It gets pretty dirty. Even though I always wash my hands first.

I wipe down my ukes after each use. I have an old "Tony Soprano" t shirt in each case for that purpose. No I am not anal!

Nope, I don't do any cleaning until necessary, just blow the dust off the ones that are left lying around ready to pick up & play.
(I live in a dirty environment, not of my making).
Other than that, my other ukes live in their 'gig bags' to keep them clean. :)

I have a micro fibre cloth and I wipe down my ukes everytime after playing them. I have oily skin and rest my pinky and ring finger on the sound board when finger picking and leave oily smudges. I also wipe down the strings, all my low G ukes have a wound 3rd and 4th which can get cruddy very fast. This takes all of 10 seconds after playing as I am putting the uke back in its case.

I always wash my hands before playing and always wipe off the strings, fretboard, and top after playing. It keeps the fingerboard clean and helps the strings last longer, and helps protect ukes with a high-gloss finish. BTW, I use guitar polishing cloths from Planet Waves / D'addario.

I wipe down my ukes after playing - even my Outdoor Ukulele. I do wash my hands before playing, and it has become automatic to wipe down with a soft cloth before casing the ukulele. I use old cloth pajamas cut down to washcloth size, and when the Dollar Tree has them in stock, I also use their jumbo eyeglass cleaning microfiber cloths.

I had strings changed on several ukes this spring thanks to a music store gift card from my son. They cleaned the fretboards at the same time for me. Even with my wiping down every time, the ukes needed it cleaned there, too.

I wipe when needed, but my Clara doesn't show much dirt. I have a soft little paintbrush (but a wide one) that I use to dust near the nut and saddle. My fingerboard isn't wood, so I don't worry about cleaning it much.

Top Bottom