NUD: KoAloha Opio Concert Acacia has arrived!

ukuleleden

Reaction score
The new KoAloha Opio Concert Acacia arrived today, one day earlier than first estimated by the online tracking. And as far as I am concerned, not a day too soon as this Opio has fully surpassed every expectation I had for it. Between KoAloha's spectacular build details coupled with KoAloha' s and Mike's (Uke Republic) set-up, I could not have asked for a better playing ukulele. The action is brilliantly set allowing for fast and butter smooth fretting up and down the fretboard, and just sounds so beautiful.

I can now firmly say if anyone has been waiting, or been on the fence to purchase a KoAloha Opio, it gets my full recommendation! I have gone over this uke in great detail and it is perfect in every regard inside and out. I hope to follow up with some pics soon, and if possible, a video too. But for now, it just needs to be played (a lot!).

A big "Thank You" goes to Mike @ Uke Republic for making this (another) purely enjoying and rewarding purchase experience. This is indeed a big reason why this wasn't my first purchase from Mike. Great guy, great Ukes!

Den

Congratulations on a wonderful instrument. Koaloha Opios punch way above there price point and compete with ukes twice their price.

BUT.......no pictures and it didn't happen, just saying. You can't do a NUD without pictures, that's like french fries without ketchup.

Congratulations on your new baby! Can't wait to see the photos. Yeah, Mike is a great guy, allright.

Kind of jealous...would take an Acacia Opio in a second; but have my eye on the Spruce. The Spruce is a little goofy looking--but I love the neck and am intrigued by what the sound might be like...

P.S. Already own a sapele Opio tenor, and it is probably my favorite.

So glad it is such a treat for you!

Congratulations on a wonderful instrument. Koaloha Opios punch way above there price point and compete with ukes twice their price.

BUT.......no pictures and it didn't happen, just saying. You can't do a NUD without pictures, that's like french fries without ketchup.

LOL! Yes, Images will be posted up soon...

Congratulations on your new baby! Can't wait to see the photos. Yeah, Mike is a great guy, allright.

Thanks Nickie. Mike certainly deserves all the praise he receives with the way he runs Uke Republic.

congrats , I love the opio models, i got to try there new spruce top ones and they are on a whole another level.

Kind of jealous...would take an Acacia Opio in a second; but have my eye on the Spruce. The Spruce is a little goofy looking--but I love the neck and am intrigued by what the sound might be like...

P.S. Already own a sapele Opio tenor, and it is probably my favorite.

I actually seriously considered going for the Spruce top first. I even had brief e-mail exchange with Brian @ KoAloha about the Spruce wood they use (Sitka). As I am so delighted with my newly acquired all-Acacia Opio, the Sitka Spruce top model has indeed just moved way up to near the top of my want list...

Regarding the look of KoAloha's spruce, I agree it's pale appearance isn't what we are accustomed to seeing on a typical spruce top. Unlike many manufacturers (guitar makers especially) today who use a stain or tint process, some even to give a "Vintage/aged look" to darken the spruce to different degrees for that "aged-look" appeal. Looks vary some even have a honey to orangey color. I suppose it's common enough that we as consumers expect that is how they are supposed to look. Though these untinted natural tops on KoAloha will certainly darken with age with exposure over time. But for many that absent "instant aged look" is odd. It was always my understanding that it was also the outer layer finish like nitro-cellulose lacquer finishes used by builders like Martin also darken on their own adding to the overall darkened hue of appearance.

Though not an instant classic look, using these tops I feel it sort of forces KoAloha to select a better choice spruce top. For instance, spruce tops that say get a dark sunburst finish are said to be applied to tops with appearance imperfections (small knots, etc) that would be passed over for use on some natural top applications, but can be obscured with those darker stains used in "Sunbursts".

I even read a comment where you can't see the grain on the Opio spruce, but of all those I have seen, they are indeed not grainless as can be seen if you slightly zoom in on this photo below, the grain is clearly visible, but likely "pops" maybe a bit less in comparison to those that have their grain slightly darkened with a light tint of some sort.

IMG_1535.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Opio. I have my eye on spruce top tenor. Just need to play or hear more sound bits. I had an early all Sapele and it was a cannot. I love the necks on KoAloha.
Enjoy

Top Bottom