Non stick oven liners

Timbuck

Reaction score
I was gluing some top and back plates together this morning and some glue seeped out onto the clamping jig on the underside of the plates ..any way I had a right old struggle to get the plates off the jig and I almost split them in the process :(...but now I see a way of preventing this happening again. "Teflon oven/pan liners" they come in all shapes and sizes and are very thin and glue will not stick to them (not even CA and hide glue) and Mrs T has got some in the cupboard :D so from now on I'll be using them on my jig...the only problem is finding a way to stick them to the jig :confused: Maybe staples. You can get these liners here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Large...3f42b38eee72443b83e7f7&pid=100507&rk=1&rkt=1&

Why not just use a sheet of plastic? (Assuming you don't already have oven liners)

"Freezer Paper" works well. One side is plastic coated. Also next to waxed paper in the grocery aisle.

I use plain old waxed paper. Cheap. Works great. I also have some of that stuff that came as backing for my sanding dish sand paper. Some kind of white plastic stuff and it came as a three foot diameter circle enough to last a long time since it is reusable.

Waxed paper here too. I really like the paper from the end of the roll that curls up while you're trying to lay the plates down on top....Just that extra challenge :rolleyes:

This is another good reason to use masking tape for gluing plates together rather than a fixture. There is no squeeze out on the down side.

You can cut up rolls of wax paper to various useful widths on the bandsaw and keep them on a dowel for easy access. Wax paper works as a non stick for almost all gluing operations.

Attachments

• DSC_0195.jpg
    DSC_0195.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 45
You can cut up rolls of wax paper to various useful widths on the bandsaw and keep them on a dowel for easy access. Wax paper works as a non stick for almost all gluing operations.

Great idea.

I am new to this forum and new to luthierie (or is it lutherie?)... At any rate:

Rockler.com sells some blue silicone project pads I am using in a jig I built to glue up plates. They were on sale for $20.00 each when I bought them. A little large, but very durable, and they can be cut to fit your needs.

Silicone oven pads are also available on Amazon.com. They even have their own brand of them. Not too expensive for two of them.

Top Bottom