Help me understand wood terms

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Just to simplify it, any help would be appreciated.

I'm confused about terms so pictures would be helpful. What is curly koa vs flame vs other types of fancy koa, master grade etc.

Is curl referring to the wavy lines that are parallel to the fretboard or perpendicular to the fretboard?

Is flame always the lines parallel to the bridge? What causes the 3D effect?

Thanks. I'm pretty confused on these. Just when I think I got it, I get confused again.

This would make a very good thread in:
Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge

This would make a very good thread in:
Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge

That's fair. However I'm not a builder and I see when people are talking about their instruments or are trying to sell they state things like, "I love how much curl there is" or "love that flame".

I think I know what they're talking about but am not sure. I figured someone could post pictures of their own backs or soundboards and describe what they mean by that.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

In a very general sense, 'flame' is straight patterning, whilst 'curly' is rounded, & 'quilted' is a kind of spotty look.

(There is also 'birds eye' which is really where a knot in the wood starts.)

Personally, I prefer a lovely clean straight grain. :)

Curly or flamed Koa is pretty wood, but make no mistake about it, it is weaker down the road. The reason you see the curl is because the long grain, or run out, is very short, hence you see the curl. Straight grain with no or little run out is stronger but shows no curl. Either can sound good depending on the talent of the builder.

I call this curly koa...:shaka:
IMG_20170122_123027707~3.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like when the lines in the wood go across the lower bout or upper bout and perpendicular to the strings and fretboard we are calling that curl or curly as it gives the wood a shimmering or 3D effect.

What is it called when the lines are wavy parallel to the strings and fretboard?

Thanks again in advance. Love the picture of the kanilea by the way

Top Bottom