Strings, tension and volume

Jovian

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a tenor uke that is very loud and has a shimmery 'twang' or 'chang' noise to it when strummed. Sometimes thins noise is quite pleasant and guitar like but at other times it really annoys me I have noticed that this noise seems to be from the way the A and and possibly the E string sound when strummed as such I believe high tension to be the cause. So I've been on a journey to find the best strings for this uke. After trying many MANY types of strings all in the ukes tenor size I put a set of Aquila 'Lava' concert strings on. These have had the effect of reducing the volume, getting rid of most of that twanging noise.
I guess my question is has anyone else had a similar experience with putting concert strings on a tenor?
Does anyone think this will have decreased the overall tension enough to make a notiable difference? (I think it has, but might be fooling myself)
Any recommendations for a truely mellow set of concert strings, preferably that will result in super low tension on my tenor?

Thanks in advance!

Jovian,
I've had really good luck with the Lavas too, but on Concert ukes. I'm switching to Worth Browns (mediums) when they arrive, for a "mellower" tone on one of my concert ukes.

I've never tried concert strings on a tenor so can't comment on tension but look up Chee/Maisrl GHS strings and listen to the CR-CCU strings Sarah plays. Also, note her comments about tension, mellowness. I know these are tenor strings but I tried then and they are nice on one of my tenors. String are such a personal thing.....as are ukuleles.....you never know until you try.

Top Bottom