FS: mystery concert ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

seonachan

Reaction score
I picked up this mystery uke somewhere along the way. No label, no idea of the maker - maybe a kit build? If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

It looks like solid koa to me - it has that "holographic" effect when you angle it in the light - but I hesitate to state it with 100% certainty since I'm not a wood expert.

It's in great cosmetic shape, but the neck angle is less than optimal - action at the 12th fret is almost 4mm or 10/64", and the intonation on the high frets suffers as a result. The neck block has a large wedge under it, which I'm guessing was an unsuccessful attempt to improve the angle.

So, while this uke looks great and plays nicely in "cowboy chord" territory, it would definitely need some work to make it fully playable. I've been planning to take it in to have it worked up properly, but both luthiers I frequent have big backlogs right now. I can wait, but I thought I'd put this out there in case anyone is willing to take it on.

I'm looking to get $115 plus shipping, which shouldn't be more than $20 anywhere in the US.

Here is a sound sample to give you a sense of the potential.

And here are some pics:

koa1.jpgkoa5.jpgkoa6.jpgkoa11.jpgkoa13.jpg

Looks like Sapele to me. Might be a Spruce House Ukulele.

I believe you are right on both counts! I looked at Sprucehouse's Facebook page and found this photo, which I believe is the exact uke I have:
61003_580214165326964_87744766_n.jpg
They describe it as a SC-0, solid sapele top, list price $355.

I will close this thread and start a new one with the updated accurate info. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom