PDA

View Full Version : LfdM baritone Build in Progress

DownUpDave
05-30-2017, 02:10 PM
I commissioned a baritone from Luis of LfdM last fall (wait time is about 1 year) and he has now started on it. I am fortunate enough to live about 10 minutes away so he invited me up to pick out the wood.

I had planned to go sitka spruce with amazon rosewood, same as my tenor. I have also played two of his baritones in this combo and they were superb. But looking through his wood stash I was like a kid in a candy store........I basically lost my mind. Luis got some Engleman spruce that he was very pleased with. We found a piece that was a winner, tap toned like a bell. As I was looking through the Amazon rosewood Luis disappeared and came back with a piece of bearclaw sitka, it was way too pretty to pass up and he really liked it. First change made.

I remembered he had built two classical guitars for a local customer using Bocote for the back and side. This wood if very pretty and is part of the Zircote family with a similar sound. He had one set left which was for a classical guitar but said I could have it. He liked the idea and choice so second change made.

Here are a few pictures of the back, sides and top in there raw state. With any luck it will be completed in September. I will add pictures of the progress as it evolves.

DownUpDave
05-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Here are a few more pictures showing the color the wood will take on with finish applied. Luis squirks Ronsons lighter fluid onto the wood, it evaporates and leaves no trace but does a great job of showing off the color and grain while it is still wet

SoloRule
05-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Very very nice.... Luis has been busy and you have been busy!

You pay , I play. You are the best kind of friend.
Thank you downupdave!

OhioBelle
05-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Wow! Bocote and bearclaw! It looks spectacular, Dave. That bearclaw is almost cross-hatched. I've never seen anything like it. No wonder you made the change.

I don't think I would ever be able to choose if let loose amongst a luthier's stash. I would want EVERYTHING. Congrats on making the decision, and on the start of your build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

keod
05-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Wow Dave, this is going to be another stunner. Congrats!!!
Looking forward to the future pics.

Jim Hanks
05-30-2017, 03:27 PM
You pay , I play. You are the best kind of friend.

IKR? I need me a downupdave. ;)

SoloRule
05-30-2017, 03:56 PM
IKR? I need me a downupdave. ;)

Jim make a drive north this summer. It's only 12 hours from
NC !
We ( sam13) will share downupdave with you but you need to bring some ukes across the boarder to spare us poor Canadian the duty ( custom) charge ! Deal ?

Ukulele Eddie
05-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Gonna be perdy!!!

Patrick Madsen
05-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Wow! That is really nice Dave. It looks like the baritone bug has bitten you big time. Nice combo for it. I keep telling my wife" this is the last one I'll have built".... and of course once she leaves the room "till the next one". Which is coming up soon. Webber of course.

Nickie
05-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Wow, that's some really pretty wood, and I love how it all matches up. And the reddish dye added to it is really nice. Good thing I don't live close....
Oh wait, Donna LoPrinzi lives right up the street.....:uhoh:

sam13
05-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Great choices on the wood options. Gonna sound superb.

DownUpDave
05-31-2017, 12:49 AM
@Camuke...Thanks Campbell I am indeed lucky to have close access to Luis

@Solorule...Brenda I am glad to share my new goodies with you. I can see one of these baritones in your future

@ Ohio Belle...It is tough making the choice of what woods to use with so much choice. I always give Luis the ultimate say because tone is first and foremost. He knows I like a baritone with some brightness and sparkle so he would stir me away from a cedar top and mahogany back.

DownUpDave
05-31-2017, 12:55 AM
@Keod.....Thanks Casey I know Luis has been making good progress so more pictures are sure to follow. I told him I would be doing a build in progress thread and I asked for lots of pictures

@Jim.....As Brenda said you really need to make the drive up sometime. I am not the only Canadian around these parts with a stash of ukes. Brenda and Simon could wow you as well

@Eddie....I think it will look perdy as well.......it'll sound perdy too!!!

DownUpDave
05-31-2017, 01:00 AM
@Patrick....Yea I am flush with tenor.....not buying anymore :biglaugh: So baritones have my attention. I heard you were having David Webber build you a Parlor guitar, that is gonna be kick-ass. We need to talk!!!

@Simon...Thanks buddy, you know I was gonna go same wood combo as my tenor but then I saw this stuff. Luis liked the combo and said it would sound great together so done deal.

@ Nickie...Thanks, I really like the Bocote back and sides, I had seen one of Luis's instruments with it. The colors that you see are natural, no red dye, just some lighter fluid squirked on to mimic the appearance the wood will have once the lacquer finish is applied

mountain goat
05-31-2017, 01:02 AM
adore the straight grain on the sitka top dave. it's gonna be a wonder. looking forward to the next set of pictures mate.

DownUpDave
05-31-2017, 01:27 AM
adore the straight grain on the sitka top dave. it's gonna be a wonder. looking forward to the next set of pictures mate.

Hey brother, so good to hear from you. Thanks for the nice words, hope all is well with you, cheers

Alytw
05-31-2017, 02:51 AM
Very nice Dave.

Osprey
05-31-2017, 03:26 AM
Dave, that's going to be a beautiful ukulele. Keep us informed of the progress
Cliff

bariukish
05-31-2017, 04:45 AM
That bear claw is over the top. Can't wait for you and Solorule to get together and honor us with a duet video on your beautiful LfdM ukes.

stevejfc
05-31-2017, 05:40 AM
That's going to be one stunning Bari Dave..........................if I could only get Luis to build me a concert..........argh!

DownUpDave
05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
@ Alytw...Thanks Adam, you'll get to play it when it all done

@Osprey..Hey Cliff...this should be my last baritone...yea right, heard that before

@Bariukeish..The bearclaw really grabbed my attention as well. Sorry no duet with me and Brenda, I'm camera shy. I got a face for radio:biglaugh:

@stevejfc...I got lucky with the wood Luis had on hand so yes it should be a stunner. If you could talk Luis into building a "concert" that would REALLY be something

Doc_J
05-31-2017, 11:37 AM
Nice updates Dave! Luis does great book matching of the both the top and back.
Bocote has great tone and looks. You really are got me to jonesing for a bari from Luis.

keod
05-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Sorry no duet with me and Brenda, I'm camera shy. I got a face for radio:biglaugh:

Talk Luis into building a "concert" that would REALLY be something

Balderdash:smileybounce:.

I think a duet, with faces, would be stupendous! You are both good looking- and your ukes are nothing to sneeze at either.

And if Luis made concerts........well, I would be in deep trouble!!!! I am already making my self sick pining for something else LOL.

SoloRule
05-31-2017, 11:58 AM
That bear claw is over the top. Can't wait for you and Solorule to get together and honor us with a duet video on your beautiful LfdM ukes.

This is Dave second lfdm. He can do a duet of himself playing both ukes just like a member here name John. He did a duet singing with just himself.

DownUpDave
05-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Nice updates Dave! Luis does great book matching of the both the top and back.
Bocote has great tone and looks. You really are got me to jonesing for a bari from Luis.

Thanks Hodge.........glad I could add fuel to the UAS fire.

You are so right about the thought Luis puts into book matching. We had talked about doing a small decorative strip down the back. Once I saw how interesting the grain was at the seam I am leaving it as is. Even the way the lighter golden color grain angles in, touches then flairs out is pure artistry

SoloRule
05-31-2017, 01:37 PM
Dave
Will you be doing the same fret markers as mine?

luv2uke
05-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Dave, That is a really nice looking wood combo. It's going to sound great!
Keep sending the photos to keep us informed.

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 01:14 AM
Dave, That is a really nice looking wood combo. It's going to sound great!
Keep sending the photos to keep us informed.

Thank you........I have more pictures as you requested :D

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 01:29 AM
I visited Luis yesterday and he is making good progress. He is also making two tenor ukuleles and a flamingo guitar. He LOVES flamingo music and building flamingo guitars is a great joy and passion for him.

He has the sides bent up, tail blocks and kerfing in place. The way he does the arm rest is interesting. As you can see he shapes a piece of solid cedar which is then glued in place to the side. He installs the top over it then shapes and carves it down to accept a piece of the trim wood which is glued in place then shaped to final form. This is very labor intensive. The first picture is of my tenor with a arm rest, the "after" picture if you will

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 01:36 AM
The back is done, braces and label are in placed and it is being glued to the sides in the form. Luis puts a coat of finish on the inside surface of the back to seal the wood. You can see the color change the finish makes compared to the perimeter of unfinished wood. This is left unfinished so the glue will adhere to the kerfing which has been glued to the the sides.

dkcrown
06-04-2017, 02:07 AM
Your bari is looking fantastic Dave. And I'm sure that it will sound great, as all of Luis' ukes do!

Jim Hanks
06-04-2017, 02:11 AM
He LOVES flamingo music and building flamingo guitars is a great joy and passion for him.
I had no idea that was even a thing. :rolleyes:
:p
http://stormcustomguitars.com/wp-content/plank_ph1.jpg

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 02:17 AM
Your bari is looking fantastic Dave. And I'm sure that it will sound great, as all of Luis' ukes do!

Thanks so much Dana. I know you are a custom cabinet maker so you would really enjoy a visit with Luis in his shop.

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 02:19 AM

:smileybounce:

A+++ for creativity on that one Jim

Rakelele
06-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Congratulations, Dave! That looks stunning already. You know, I'm not usually an envious person, but this is pretty much exactly the baritone that I would want for myself. So great that you're able to go out and hand-pick your own wood from one of the greatest luthiers out there. If I could do that, I think I would have commissioned a baritone from Luis long ago. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy your pictures and share your joy. Thanks for letting us participating!

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 02:42 AM
Congratulations, Dave! That looks stunning already. You know, I'm not usually an envious person, but this is pretty much exactly the baritone that I would want for myself. So great that you're able to go out and hand-pick your own wood from one of the greatest luthiers out there. If I could do that, I think I would have commissioned a baritone from Luis long ago. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy your pictures and share your joy. Thanks for letting us participating!

Great to hear from you my friend. I realize how fortunate I am to live close to Luis and I am just happy I am able to share this with everyone.
You know if you ever get to Canada I would be thrilled for you to play it and make a visit to Luis's shop.

keod
06-04-2017, 02:54 AM
Awesome pics Dave. Sure makes me appreciate the work and craftsmanship involved. Nice touch to finish the inside. Always wondered how he did those bevels- very nice. It must be hard waiting for this beauty.

DownUpDave
06-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Awesome pics Dave. Sure makes me appreciate the work and craftsmanship involved. Nice touch to finish the inside. Always wondered how he did those bevels- very nice. It must be hard waiting for this beauty.

Yea Casey the work involved is very demanding and detailed. When I order a uke and it is a year out the wait is not bad........until it actually gets started. Then the last 3-4 months are very hard :p

Osprey
06-05-2017, 03:32 AM
This is so cool, Dave. Keep giving these updates with pictures. It gives us all a bit of a rush to see beautiful ukuleles come together

Cliff

1931jim
06-05-2017, 06:45 AM
From the 30th May 'til today you have kept me enlightened and educated with the nice pictures you have taken. I love everything about this latest creation which you have been sharing with all of us here in the family. As the others have written before me a hearty congratulations to you Dave. A beauty it is indeed. Jim

mmfitzsimons
06-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Gosh I love build threads, thanks for sharing. That bearclaw sitka is really something else, gorgeous!!

DownUpDave
06-05-2017, 11:20 AM
This is so cool, Dave. Keep giving these updates with pictures. It gives us all a bit of a rush to see beautiful ukuleles come together

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, there should be more pictures in about a week or so. Luis says putting the body together happens fairly quickly once started. All the fine detailed work after that like purfing, trim, bindings and finishing take a long time.

DownUpDave
06-05-2017, 11:21 AM
From the 30th May 'til today you have kept me enlightened and educated with the nice pictures you have taken. I love everything about this latest creation which you have been sharing with all of us here in the family. As the others have written before me a hearty congratulations to you Dave. A beauty it is indeed. Jim

I am more than glad to share this with everyone here in the family. Looking at other peoples build threads is always an education for me.

DownUpDave
06-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Gosh I love build threads, thanks for sharing. That bearclaw sitka is really something else, gorgeous!!

Thanks for the compliments on the bearclaw.....when I saw it I was smitten:love:

I had read your are having Dave Sigman build you a Little River ukulele. I really like his instruments, congratulations. See if he will supply you with pictures so you can do a thread about your build as well

Pueo
06-05-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm sure Sukie would get a kick out of that!

DownUpDave
06-11-2017, 02:55 AM
Here are some pictures of the rosette. It has abalone shell in the middle then bordered on both sides with snake wood and black and white purfling.

DownUpDave
06-11-2017, 02:58 AM
I decided to make a change from the usual all back ebony fret board. Because of the dark brown color of the snakewood trim I asked Luis for some Macassar ebony which has streaks of brown in it. He presented me with two choices, one more dramatic looking then the other. I have made my pick but feel free to say which one you like and why.

mmfitzsimons
06-11-2017, 03:16 AM
Did you go for more streaks? I did... (Macassar ebony board and bridge is the only non-California wood on the LR uke Dave is building for me!)

That rosette is beautiful!!

mmfitzsimons
06-11-2017, 03:17 AM
The other fretboard is great too, more I look at it, the finer grain really compliments the bear claw... you can't go wrong here!

DownUpDave
06-11-2017, 03:40 AM
The other fretboard is great too, more I look at it, the finer grain really compliments the bear claw... you can't go wrong here!

It was a tough choice for me too, which is good, shows they are both nice. I will let others weigh in before I say what I picked

(New pictures on posts #47 & 48)

Alytw
06-11-2017, 04:13 AM
It is a tough call. The one with the streaks is really nice, but the one with less streaks is more subtle and won't compete with the b/s grain and the top bearclaw. Can't go wrong with either. I'd lean towards the less streaks for the subtlety.

Doc_J
06-11-2017, 04:14 AM
I decided to make a change from the usual all back ebony fret board. Because of the dark brown color of the snakewood trim I asked Luis for some Macassar ebony which has streaks of brown in it. He presented me with two choices, one more dramatic looking then the other. I have made my pick but feel free to say which one you like and why.

Hmm. It depends on the overall look element you want to add, symmetry and harmony #1, or asymmetry and interest #2, either is good. My choice would be to ask Luis. :)

I would lean towards #2, but would need to see it with the other woods

DownUpDave
06-11-2017, 04:48 AM
Hmm. It depends on the overall look element you want to add, symmetry and harmony #1, or asymmetry and interest #2, either is good. My choice would be to ask Luis. :)

Your choice is very good........I did ask Luis :D

keod
06-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Love the rosette!
I'd go for the fretboard with less streaks for the exact reason Doc J nailed - symmetry (but I am pretty boring).#2 is more interesting.
Will be fun to see what Luis suggests.

Ukulele Eddie
06-11-2017, 05:43 PM

^^^^I agree with this, exactly.

SoloRule
06-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Whatever you decided will be perfect but you need fret markers or I can't buy it off you in two years ;)

DownUpDave
06-13-2017, 01:55 AM
Whatever you decided will be perfect but you need fret markers or I can't buy it off you in two years ;)

Oh it will have fret markers........but just on the side, like my tenor. I am sure Luis will build one for you with fret markers on the face of the fretboard

Mezcalero
06-13-2017, 04:27 AM

Really LOL.

Mezcalero
06-13-2017, 04:30 AM
I'm late to the party on this thread, looks like it will be ready soon. Excellent idea on the macassar fret board. Sounds like you're really enjoying the creative input! Looking forward to seeing and hearing how it sounds!

DownUpDave
06-16-2017, 01:59 PM
More progress has been made. You can see the lattice bracing Luis developed and uses on his classical guitars and ukuleles. Luis always asks you to name the instrument so this baritone is named Sienna. He put a nice inscription on the underside of the top. You can see it through the sound port even when the uke is completed.

Luis usually uses a snake head shape for his headstock but I wanted something different. I had seen him do a classical guitar style, but he thought the rosette gave it a folk guitar look so we went with a modified Gibson shape. He shaped it out with tape while I was there, until we both liked it.

DownUpDave
06-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Luis then did a scale line drawing on paper (he is an old school engineer). He made a template and routed out the headstock . He liked it so much he will be offering it as an option.

Alytw
06-16-2017, 02:36 PM
That's looking awesome Dave. Thanks for posting detailed pics. Nice headstock shape and cool interior shots.

DownUpDave
06-16-2017, 02:49 PM
That's looking awesome Dave. Thanks for posting detailed pics. Nice headstock shape and cool interior shots.

My pleasure Adam. I can't wait to have you play it and really put it to the test.

SoloRule
06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
It's looking good and very unique. A true custom
built instrument. I bet you are getting excited.
It will soon be your number one girl next to Sophia.

DownUpDave
06-16-2017, 02:51 PM
It's looking good and very unique. A true custom
built instrument. I bet you are getting excited.
It will soon be your number one girl next to Sophia.

It will be little sister and big sister.

1931jim
06-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the pictures Dave. The strutting on the sound board is so meticulous and well done. The instrument must make you so proud. I am very pleased for you.

Jim Hanks
06-16-2017, 04:01 PM
He made a template and routed out the headstock . He liked it so much he will be offering it as an option.

Don't you love being part of innovation? :shaka:

mmfitzsimons
06-16-2017, 04:03 PM
She's looking terrific!! Wow!!

That bracing is a work of art all by itself, makes me wish soundboards were on hinges, just to show off what's under the hood! ;)

keod
06-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Love the headstock design Dave. How cool- two sisters! Love the names you chose. I'm so excited for you.

Nickie
06-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Very cool Dave! I like it. Being a Cocobolo owner, I'd go for the more colorful fretboard, myself.

DownUpDave
06-17-2017, 01:01 AM
I wanted to put these up with the other new pictures last night (posts #62 & 63), but had technical difficulties. As you can see I went with the more dramatic fretboard. The binding is snakewood which will be used around the body, top and bottom, arm rest and tail graft.

dkcrown
06-17-2017, 01:41 AM
It's really looking great Dave!

keod
06-17-2017, 02:08 AM
Oh Dave, this is shaping up to be absolutely beautiful. Fretboard is amazing, headstock is drool worthy and that rosette- perfect fit. Can't wait to see and here the finished product.

Osprey
06-17-2017, 03:47 AM
It's coming together quite well, Dave. It's going to be a stunner. You have made some good choices. Keep posting pictures, we'll keep drooling.

DownUpDave
06-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Last of the pictures until further developments. Luis used snakewood for the tail graft which will tie in nicely with the snakewood bindings and armrest. His usual tail graft is narrow and straight, he suprised me with this shape. I am a firm believer in letting the luthier have "artistic liecence". I like it and think it will look great with the arm rest

Here is a piece of Macassar ebony to be used for the bridge, it came off the piece used for the fretboard so colors will match up well.

Doc_J
06-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Really like the look of that Bocote. Good call on the use of snakewood as an accent rather than for the entire body.

DownUpDave
06-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Really like the look of that Bocote. Good call on the use of snakewood as an accent rather than for the entire body.

Thanks Hodge, the Bocote really shows some golds and reds when finish is applied so it will balance nicely with the snakewood.

Ukulele Eddie
06-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Last of the pictures until further developments. Luis used snakewood for the tail graft which will tie in nicely with the snakewood bindings and armrest. His usual tail graft is narrow and straight, he suprised me with this shape. I am a firm believer in letting the luthier have "artistic liecence". I like it and think it will look great with the arm rest

Here is a piece of Macassar ebony to be used for the bridge, it came off the piece used for the fretboard so colors will match up well.

Love the snakewood tail piece. And based on that lower bout, looks like baby got back! ;-)

stevejfc
06-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Man oh man, coming together nicely Dave. Love the snakewood also......very nice accent/contrast.

DownUpDave
06-28-2017, 06:45 AM
This was a real nice suprise, Luis sent a pictorial on how he does his arm rest.I will start with a previous picture showing the cedar block that is glued into the side. The top and back are glued on, the binding and purfing channels are cut, then the shaping begins

101234101235101236[ATTACH=CONFIG]101237

DownUpDave
06-28-2017, 06:49 AM
The area is shaped out to accept the piece of snakewood for the armrest. Luis then shapes it to final form and he has applied a coat of shellac to seal it.

Osprey
06-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Dave, that's a pretty cool armrest. The whole ukulele is going to be a great looking instrument. Something to be proud of.
Cliff

DownUpDave
06-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Dave, that's a pretty cool armrest. The whole ukulele is going to be a great looking instrument. Something to be proud of.
Cliff

Thanks for continuing to follow this thread and I appriecate your nice comments as I know Luis does.

SoloRule
06-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Dave. This is coming along very nicely. I like your snake wood better! Very smart choice, buddy!
Counting the days to the delivery date!

Alytw
06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Great pics. Looking pretty sweet!

Nickie
06-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Wow....that looks like a pretty thick piece of wood to be bent in such a sharp curve!
What a great looking armrest.
My cocobolo uke doesn't have an armrest per se, but the top of the left hand side lower bought is curved downwards, giving the uke a nice comfortable shape for my right forearm. It doesn't crease my arm. I tried to photograph it, but it is so subtle a pic won't show it.

luv2uke
06-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Looking bettah each day!

DownUpDave
06-30-2017, 12:32 AM
The body binding and purfing are all done. Now I'm starting to get excited, it's really coming together. Check out posts #82 & #83 on the prior page to see how the arm rest is made if you haven't done so already.

dkcrown
06-30-2017, 12:52 AM
It's really coming together Dave. The arm rest looks great!

tangimango
06-30-2017, 03:57 AM
I agree with dk, that armrest is gorgeus. is that snake wood?

keod
06-30-2017, 05:02 AM
Looking fantastic Dave! You really picked nice woods. You should be very excited!

SoloRule
06-30-2017, 05:26 AM
It is really nice to be Dave's friend in person!
Everyone needs a Dave so you can test drive a bunch of custom ukes !

DownUpDave
06-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Dana, Casey and Brenda thanks for the nice compliment I am really pleased with the wood combo.

@Tangimango : That is indeed snake wood used for the armrest and all body bindings. It binds the fretboard as well.

mds725
06-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Congratulations! Your LfdM is going to be very sweet!

I got lucky recently and bought this long-neck LfdM baritone that Luis sent to Andrew at The Ukulele Site. It sounds wonderful. I'm sure you're going to be thrilled with yours.

https://vimeo.com/213405560

DownUpDave
06-30-2017, 05:07 PM

I got lucky recently and bought this long-neck LfdM baritone that Luis sent to Andrew at The Ukulele Site. It sounds wonderful. I'm sure you're going to be thrilled with yours.

Wow I had no idea you had a LfdM baritone, Congratulations. They really are great sounding instruments

dkcrown
07-01-2017, 01:47 AM

Nice score Mark. I know that you are a baritone aficionado.

Rakelele
07-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Congratulations, Mark! So you are the one who got it in the end! I was about to get this one from Andrew, but then he couldn't ship it out to me because of the new restrictions on woods. Glad to hear that it is in your hands now.

Dave, I really enjoy to see how everything is coming together on yours. Please keep the pictures coming...!

mds725
07-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Congratulations, Mark! So you are the one who got it in the end! I was about to get this one from Andrew, but then he couldn't ship it out to me because of the new restrictions on woods. Glad to hear that it is in your hands now.

Sorry to hear that you wanted this instrument but that Andrew couldn't ship it to you. Of course, I'm glad I ended up with it, and it's a delight. I hope someday you can find a way to get ahold of one of these LfdM baritones.

Dave, thanks for the photos of your LfdM baritone build. Although I'd heard a lot of good things about LfdM instruments, I became a believer when I saw the video demo Andrew posted for the baritone I got. Yours is going to be great!

DownUpDave
07-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear that you wanted this instrument but that Andrew couldn't ship it to you. Of course, I'm glad I ended up with it, and it's a delight. I hope someday you can find a way to get ahold of one of these LfdM baritones.

Dave, thanks for the photos of your LfdM baritone build. Although I'd heard a lot of good things about LfdM instruments, I became a believer when I saw the video demo Andrew posted for the baritone I got. Yours is going to be great!

Hey Mark, I know Rainer has been wanting an LfdM baritone and Luis has only been making his long neck with a rosewood back so the "stupid" new regulations have hampered Rainer.

It is fun to do a build thread like this because Luis keeps sending me pictures. Luis saw your post in this thread about you acquiring the baritone and asked about you. I said only good things of course ;)

DownUpDave
07-08-2017, 01:46 AM
Luis sent pictures of the fretwork. The neck stills needs shaping.

DownUpDave
07-08-2017, 01:49 AM

DownUpDave
07-08-2017, 01:54 AM
The saddle is shaped, the line you see on the top is a pencil line, not a bad joint

dkcrown
07-08-2017, 02:13 AM
Wow, Dave! Very impressive!

Osprey
07-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Keep those photos coming, Dave. It gets better looking all the time. You can see the workmanship and attention to detail in every step. It is a joy to share this build journey with you.

Cliff

sam13
07-08-2017, 02:53 AM
Loving these recent pictures of the new Baritone coming from Luis.

Looks spectacular. Congrats.

1931jim
07-08-2017, 03:27 AM
The saddle is shaped, the line you see on the top is a pencil line, not a bad joint

The third shot.....IMG_3679-1....shows off the beautiful spruce top. Again a pleasure to watch the progress.

Doc_J
07-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Great pics. Thanks Dave. OK, Now I know what fretboard you chose. :)

Both the ebony fretboard and bocote body look great with the snakewood binding.

Ukulele Eddie
07-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Looking great and getting sooooo close!

stevejfc
07-08-2017, 11:12 AM
It's sooooo nice. You're killing me with this Dave!

DownUpDave
07-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Thanks so much everyone. Luis keeps suprising me with more photos about once a week so it is easy on my part. I just post them and we all get to go ohhhh, awwww :o

OhioBelle
07-08-2017, 04:59 PM
ooooh! ahhhhhhh! :)

DownUpDave
07-19-2017, 03:09 AM
Luis sent pictures of the neck being carved and shaped to final dimensions. The first picture shows the nut has been fitted, Luis uses a zero fret. The strings rest on this fret and the string height is controlled by this and not the nut. The nut only holds the strings in place. Luis does this so no matter how many times you change strings or how different the diameters are the action height will always be consistent

DownUpDave
07-19-2017, 03:18 AM
The neck is done and fitted. The instrument is now ready to be finished which involves sealing the wood, pore filling then applying multiple coats of lacquer.

This is the end of the build thread, next up will be a NUD post. I am not sure when this will be as Luis is building 4 instruments at the same time. Thanks to everyone that joined in and added their comments. A big thanks to Luis for taking all these pictures and helping to expand our knowledge of how he builds instruments

Osprey
07-19-2017, 03:31 AM
Wow! Wow! Looking better and better, Dave.

cml
07-19-2017, 03:59 AM
Fantastic!

keod
07-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Oh wow Dave - looks wonderful!!! So looking forward to your NUD. Happy for you!!!!!

Doc_J
07-19-2017, 09:26 AM
I really like Louis' 5 piece neck. Is that Spanish cedar and Bocote?

DownUpDave
07-19-2017, 09:52 AM
I really like Louis' 5 piece neck. Is that Spanish cedar and Bocote?

Luis used Port Orford cedar and the double stringers are........I'm not sure, lol. We decided on Port Orford because it is lighter and stiffer than spanish cedar, which Luis does use a lot for necks. There is a carbon fibre rod in the neck as well for stiffness. The stringers were mainly for design and to pull or introduce the brown colors from the body into the blonde neck.

An interesting topic that Luis is strong about is the tone of the neck wood. He wants something that will carry tone and vibrations but not the same frequency as the body. This could cause sympathic resonance and possible problems, his thoughts

Ukulele Eddie
07-19-2017, 10:11 AM
This is the end of the build thread, next up will be a NUD post. I am not sure when this will be as Luis is building 4 instruments at the same time. Thanks to everyone that joined in and added their comments. A big thanks to Luis for taking all these pictures and helping to expand our knowledge of how he builds instruments

We'll all be looking forward to that one!

Doc_J
07-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Luis used Port Orford cedar and the double stringers are........I'm not sure, lol. We decided on Port Orford because it is lighter and stiffer than spanish cedar, which Luis does use a lot for necks. There is a carbon fibre rod in the neck as well for stiffness. The stringers were mainly for design and to pull or introduce the brown colors from the body into the blonde neck.

An interesting topic that Luis is strong about is the tone of the neck wood. He wants something that will carry tone and vibrations but not the same frequency as the body. This could cause sympathic resonance and possible problems, his thoughts

The Port Orford cedar neck must smell terrific. POC has a very pleasant scent.

My cedar top tenor from Luis has a 5-piece neck, and I've always admired that.

SoloRule
07-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Do I see two vertical lines design on the back of the neck?
If yes, that must be Luis new creation?
Will you be tuning as baritone or GCEA with the downupdave special strings?
We need to talk!

DownUpDave
07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Do I see two vertical lines design on the back of the neck?
If yes, that must be Luis new creation?
Will you be tuning as baritone or GCEA with the downupdave special strings?
We need to talk!

There is no way in Hell this is being tuned GCEA.......Luis would kill me:p. This is a baritone only and must be tuned as one. These sound like a classical guitar because Luis designed a long scale length and big body to support higher tension strings tuned DGBE.

Mezcalero
07-19-2017, 12:00 PM
There is no way in Hell this is being tuned GCEA.......Luis would kill me:p. This is a baritone only and must be tuned as one. These sound like a classical guitar because Luis designed a long scale length and big body to support higher tension strings tuned DGBE.

I bet it would sound great with Nylon strings on it. That scale length is kind of a tweener for classical guitar strings though. I recently tried and was pleasantly surprised by the Southcoast Light Heavy gauge set on a 20" scale Baritone with light bracing that sounded choked with my usually preferred high tension string set-up.

Alytw
07-19-2017, 04:51 PM
That's one fast looking neck! Coming along nicely. Do you know what type of finish Luis uses?

DownUpDave
07-20-2017, 12:19 AM
That's one fast looking neck! Coming along nicely. Do you know what type of finish Luis uses?

He applies two coats of shellac as a sealer, then it is pore filled with CA and then receives multiple coats of water based lacquer. This is a different process then he did in the past. His last batch was done this way and Andrew from HMS commented on how improved the finish was.

Alytw
07-20-2017, 02:41 AM
He applies two coats of shellac as a sealer, then it is pore filled with CA and then receives multiple coats of water based lacquer. This is a different process then he did in the past. His last batch was done this way and Andrew from HMS commented on how improved the finish was.

Thanks Dave.

Down Up Dick
07-20-2017, 03:23 AM

Right on, Bro! DGBE is why one buys a baritone. :old:

librainian
07-22-2017, 03:50 AM
Holy cow this is stunning even with the raw wood. I can't wait to see what it looks like with finish applied. This will be one special uke!

DownUpDave
07-22-2017, 11:53 AM
@Down Up Dick......yea baritone has that special low , deep resonant sound that is melow and relaxing.

@librainian.... Thanks for the compliments Andrew, yes it should really pop when the lacquer is applied. I am starting to get itchy fingers, it is soooo hard being patient

Rakelele
07-22-2017, 07:55 PM
There is no way in Hell this is being tuned GCEA... Luis would kill me. :p This is a baritone only and must be tuned as one. These sound like a classical guitar because Luis designed a long scale length and big body to support higher tension strings tuned DGBE.

Glad to hear that! ;)