Suggest some classical somgs

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some classical songs to learn on uke, which are recognizable, and not too difficult to learn, if that's even possible? I have a few family members who are big classical fans (especially Bach), who I may be seeing/playing for this summer, and would like to have some material to play for them, as well as broadening my uke horizons too. So far, I'm mostly a strummer/singalong kind of player. Thanks in advance.

The first two classical pieces I learned on uke were Bach's Minuet in G, and Beethoven's Ode to Joy. I don't have arrangements that I can share, but here's a beginner-friendly Ode to Joy that is pretty similar to what I learned. And there's always Mozart's "Ah! vous dirai-je, maman," better known in the US as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star :) And if you want to really challenge yourself, get John King's Classical Ukulele book.

The first two classical pieces I learned on uke were Bach's Minuet in G, and Beethoven's Ode to Joy. I don't have arrangements that I can share, but here's a beginner-friendly Ode to Joy that is pretty similar to what I learned. And there's always Mozart's "Ah! vous dirai-je, maman," better known in the US as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star :) And if you want to really challenge yourself, get John King's Classical Ukulele book.

I far prefer Tony Mizen's classical books over that John King one. The Baroque and Romantic versions have very recognizable pieces in them.

I far prefer Tony Mizen's classical books over that John King one. The Baroque and Romantic versions have very recognizable pieces in them.

Those are great too! I didn't mention them because my experience was just the opposite, the King pieces were more recognizable to me, but then we all have different musical backgrounds.

Aside from the current suggestions...

Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy and Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1; Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14, Mvmt. 1 and Schubert's Ave Maria.

Easy arrangements of the former pair can be found in "Classical Hits for Ukulele: Roll Over Beethoven, and Play Ukulele Today". Intermediate arrangements of the latter pair can be found in "Classical Koa: Timeless Masterpieces for the Super Concert Ukulele KoAloha Special Edition".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Here's one that might suit, it's a little Waltz by Dionisio Aguado.
I adapted this for high g ukulele from an old guitar transcription.
I have also listed the fretting hand fingerings in the standard notation beside the notes.

Hey, someone needs to say: utterly fantastic!
But where is the notation? I didn't see it...
And what is that lovely uke you play?

Last edited:
Hey, someone needs to say: utterly fantastic!
But where is the notation? I didn't see it...
And what is that lovely uke you play?

Hi Tracie, thanks for watching & commenting. There is a link to the tab in the YouTube description just below the video. The ukulele is a W J Herringe baritone built by a luthier friend of mine here in Australia. I have also listed the suggested fingerings alongside the standard notation.

Rockclass101 is an excellent resource. Several classical pieces, and very good instruction, tabs with scores. Also just about any genre you could ask. Check it out.

Top Bottom