Concert waterman?

Piecomics

Reaction score
I am confused by these. Does the concert Waterman ukulele exist yet? I read reviews of it but every website says it is on order with no known date of delivery. Anyone n the know?

I made a video with ours. Of great interest to me, they just added a concert Shark. Think I might buy one. Oh...the video:

https://youtu.be/B5YJGRd0cik

Yes... the concert shark is calling me as well (da, da.... da, da... da, da, da,da....). I got one for my daughter a few years ago and thought it was great! Concert is my scale and the price is great!

Unless you need something you can use as an oar, I'd get the Shark, the Waterman's I've heard do not sound very good. Or, get an Outdoor Ukulele, but they only come in soprano and tenor, they sound a lot better.

and, get it from UkeRepublic, they will do a setup and change strings.
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-mk-cs-shark-concert-ukulele

Last edited:
I agree with the new Concert Shark being the better choice. Unless you are really making your uke susceptible to a harsh wet, cold, and/or hot environment where a Waterman makes more sense. On the other hand, I think Plastic Ukes have a cool collecting appeal to them and I like the fact that Kala gives their Waterman a nod to the classic plastic Mac Islanders... So get one of each! ;)

Unless you need something you can use as an oar, I'd get the Shark, the Waterman's I've heard do not sound very good. Or, get an Outdoor Ukulele, but they only come in soprano and tenor, they sound a lot better.

and, get it from UkeRepublic, they will do a setup and change strings.
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-mk-cs-shark-concert-ukulele

That's a super price for a concert Shark with setup. I would go for this one. I had a Waterman once and didn't like it at all. My vintage Maccaferri is so much better. I do, however, like the sound and feel of my Outdoor Uke, but it doesn't come in concert as others have pointed out.

Sharks and dolphins are really great sounding for what they are. I've heard the playability can be hit or miss, which is why the setup from Uke Republic is so important. I ordered a pink dolphin for my niece from Amazon and it was great. But I think I was lucky.

Uke Republic will also send you a cool sticker. :)

I was unaware a Concert Waterman was in the works until I saw this thread. I'm very happy with my Soprano Waterman, despite its obvious limitations. It's loud, crisp, and as needed, very percussive. Its tone is understandably not complex, but the instrument is great fun. Concert scale is really my size and I'd love one in Concert. I see Seafoam Green and Chalkboard Black right now at Amazon, but no other colors. No other colors are apparent online elsewhere either.

I'm updating my post of 9/14 with the news of the arrival of my Waterman Concert. Upon further research, including the Kala site, Seafoam Green and Chalkboard Black are the only colors currently offered. I chose Seafoam Green. The strings are still settling in and I've not yet played it much, but I can say at this point, it has a comfortable concert scale, and as I said about the soprano when it was introduced, a very nice neck profile. It has the shortcomings of a plastic uke as to adjustability and the likely disappearance of fret paint and position markers in short order. I must point out the most prominent difference between the concert and the soprano, and this is big, is the tone. While it is simple and not loaded with woody resonance or overtones, it is very warm and mellow. I did not expect this; the soprano is decidedly bright. So far I like the difference. Both have stock strings. I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who has both ukes and has the same experience.

Top Bottom