Need Help Deciding

alexc

Reaction score
Hi there...
I'm looking for a nice solid tenor uke, and can't decide between the KALA KA-SMHT, or the Mainland Mango Tenor. Also, how is the mainland mango compared to the mahogany and red cedar?

Thanks,
Alex :)

Between a Kala and a Mainland, I'd always pick the Mainland. I'd opt for the cedar or mahogany, as mango isn't my sound, but that is very subjective. :)

Hi there...
I'm looking for a nice solid tenor uke, and can't decide between the KALA KA-SMHT, or the Mainland Mango Tenor. Also, how is the mainland mango compared to the mahogany and red cedar?

Thanks,
Alex :)

I have the KA-SMHCE-C—same family of ukulele, only concert size, with an electric pickup and cut-away. I got mine from HMS and I am very happy with it.

But here's the one you're considering (KA-SMHT) in action:

The video embed doesn't appear to be working at the moment, so here's a direct link: https://vimeo.com/88702069

I can't comment on a Mainland or a Pono as I've never played either, but Pono has an excellent reputation here on the UU forum.

Between a Kala and a Mainland, I'd always pick the Mainland. I'd opt for the cedar or mahogany, as mango isn't my sound, but that is very subjective. :)

:agree: and skip the Pono, unless you like a heavy, thick neck...

Personally, I like mahogany & cedar, not keen on mango at all, & I'm not that fond of the looks of Mainland ukes, so I'd go with Kala, or perhaps Ohana.

Cedar topped Mainland's sound great. I have a solid mahogany Kala tenor. It's light and resonant, but wouldn't want one for "full price." I also love Pono's. The Mango Pono is bright, but can likely be tamed with strings if you want it more mellow. With an Oahu case and shipping included, it's quite a deal.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Pono plan. Other than that, I'd prefer the Cedar top Mainland over the Mango.

Top Bottom