Hiding terrible finish

Flibble

Reaction score
Hi all

So I recently bought the worst ukulele ever.

I found a price on a 'solid' mahogany ukulele. An ashton uke300smh.

It came and it was terrible. Dried out fretboard, splinters on the notches cut for the srrings on the bridge, and pretty rubbish laminate back and sides with those awful joins where you see the laminate so clearly.

I tried to return and the retailer kindly refunded and said not to bother returning it.

So- now it seems a shame to chuck it.

I can lower the action by a foot, hydrate and season the fretboard etc. But to my question-

Is there a way to hide the crappy seams? Obviously i could buy some funky tape or something but is there an actual option for some easy binding?

It may remain unplayable and I may make it unsellable but I thought it might be fun to try something.

Thanks all

You might get more responses if you move this conversation to uke talk or the luthier Lounge.

Behlen's Qualarenu will soften and refloat old finishes (as well as brain cells) and fill in small cracks and crazing. Tricky to work with, and takes a bit of elbow grease, but amazing stuff.

Thanks all for the ideas. Yes some kind of paint job might work. And yes. This is in totally the wrong section!

Cover it with random decals., like a guitar case. Or follow the Woddy Guthrie tradition and paint "This Machine Kills *****" on the front of it.

Top Bottom