Last Minute Change - Great Learning Experience

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I have a concert uke that I'm building for womans birthday present from hubby and kids. She loves playing the ukulele, and it took a bit for the family to convince her that instead of continueing to buy mediocre ukes built in China that she just doesn't like, she should get something custom made just for her, plus she's a leftie.........so sure, no worries. Pick out timber and size of uke. A couple of other specs and away we go.

Except that when I send her some progress pictures she decides that she would really like some other inlay. Doesn't know what though, and trouble is that the body is closed, fret board is all but fretted.......So a bit of head scratch and I came up with this after she said "How about my initials"?

The rosette has some spalted Silver Ash in it, so to tie things together I used that as the tile base. The letters are cut out of some recon turquoise on the laser. First time trying to cut anything that delicate and I'm pretty bloody impressed at how they came out. Need the good glasses and tweezers to handle the parts.

I had to rout out the area thar the double dots were already inlaid at the 12th fret position. Then glue the new tile in place.

At the end of the day, it was a great learning experience, and have something else that I can offer in the way of custom work.

untitled-9.jpguntitled-10.jpguntitled-13.jpguntitled-14.jpg

Top Bottom