EGBE tuning for baritone

SunnyDee

Reaction score
I know it's weird, but I'm just wondering. Can someone recommend strings for a tuning that is EGBe on a baritone uke? Just a tone up on the normal bass string.

I use this tuning for one song. Standard strings will work fine. I use this tuning for one song because I found that EVERY chord in the song needed 2nd fret 4th string and by tuning it thus it freed up my fingering to do more complicated work elsewhere.

Anthony

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of raising the lowest pitch a whole step? I realize this is an open Em tuning, but as a general-purpose tuning, this seems like a big regression. (For comparison, imagine standard chord shapes with the 4th string position two frets closer to the nut—or with one chord component missing and the first string pitch doubled at the octave, the most amenable alternative for most chords.)

I think Anthony alluded to it. I'm looking at the fingering. I play guitar and am experimenting with triads on the top 3 strings using mini-barres for many of them. If on a baritone uke, I shift that low string up a tone, I can include the bass note in the barre. It works a treat on guitar, but I wasn't sure how much range ukes have for alternate tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom