Crossrock CRA400 vs. CRA800 -- which one?

WifeOnFourStrings

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a tenor case and trying to decide between the Crossrock CRA400 and CRA800. Currently, they're roughly the same price so it seems like a matter of aesthetic preference but if anyone has personal experience with either case please share. Thanks!

It is more than just aesthetics that make these different. The CRA400 has a flat top which is not a strong as a arched top like the CRA800. The CRA400 is a zipper closure as opposed to the latch closure of the CRA800. The latch closure and aluminum valance that meet top and bottom is stronger and gives a much tighter seal to keep in humidity from a sound hole humidifer if you use one.

I had a CRS800 for a short while that came with an instrument that I ended up selling and I did like the case, I would buy another one. I don't have any experience with the CRA400, other than looking at and handling them in a music store. They seem well made as all Crossrock products are.

I have a Crossrock 800 for my soprano. I love it, especially when traveling. It's sturdy enough to survive carry-on luggage and I prefer the look to the 400.

I have a yellow 400 for one of my tenors; it doesn't seem as bulletproof as the Otter-Box styling suggests, so I don't use it for tough spots like plane overhead bins, but it's surprisingly light, so I love it for just cross-town trips.

I recently got one of the Oahu leather-covered fiberglass cases. It's light years better than any case I've tried. I think my uke would be okay now if the darn plane crashed, lol.. A bit more $ than the ABS cases, but boatloads less than other fiberglass cases I've seen. I rarely see them in stock on HMS, but had success emailing them and asking for one. :)

Side note: I actually like the zipper closure of the 400, despite the valid issues raised above. Eliminates my nagging fears of latch-bashing my uke.

The Oahu cases are latched, but the case edges are lined with molded plastic that's re-assurringly smooth and soft. It also allows for a really snug fit of the top and bottom; smart design!

Last edited:
Top Bottom