Boss acoustic amps?

Boss makes pretty solid pedals. But they are going to be pedaling up hill for a while if they want to get in the amp game. As a performing musician who's had his fair share of shinny gadgets over the years, I think the novelty of having it all in the amp would wear out quick. It's not a question of if, but when you're going to need a footswitch to control the harmony and looper - another $60.

Not going to comment on the quality of the amp itself, but my money is on the tried and true Fishman Soloamp of similar specs that's been around for years. For a little more money (Boss is $499 it looks like), you could get a Soloamp ($329), a real looper (TCE Ditto - $99), AND a real harmonizer (TC Voicetone - $149). To me, that would be the more powerful/reliable rig all day long. But I'm not a bells-and-whistles guy. If I'm not going to use it I don't want it taking up space or weight in my gear!

Be curious to see the reviews as they come out.

I agree with Brad. I use a looper for a few songs, and all but one of them requires that i manipulate the looper's settings on the fly while playing the uke. I have yet to use a harmonizer, but I'm sure I'd want the utility of a pedal to enable, disable, or alter the harmonizing effect mid-song.

Having said that, I can see the appeal of an amp with certain less micromanaged onboard effects. My bedroom amp has onboard delay, reverb, chorus, and compression, and I use those features often. But that's not a piece of gigging equipment. If I were to use those effects in a live setting, I'd rather have them on a pedalboard for the added versatility and choice.

Last edited:
You're right. It's pretty baffling that a foot switch to control the looper and harmonizer is not included, since these effects are pretty limited without one. Having said that, there are a few online demos of the amp that sound pretty good, and not having to mess with a bunch of pedals on the floor (other than a foot switch) is kind of compelling for a gear minimalist like me. (BTW, Baccchettadavid, I love that R. Browning quote).

Boss is simply an arm of Roland. Roland amps have been around forever and have a great reputation. Boss Katana amps have a great reputation in the electric guitar world.

Boss acoustic amps? No idea. Try them yourself and see.

Anthony

Top Bottom