Tips for strings pulling through bridge

Piecomics

Reaction score
Looking for advice. I have been trying to string a soprano Waterman as fifths tuning. The E string pulls through the bridge even if I tie the string in multiple knots. I'm not sure what I can do to keep it from pulling out, but I love the sound so would really like to figure this one out. Any advice?

PS, I am about to go interview for a job, and this is how I am distracting myself. Wish me luck!

Ben

is there room for a tiny bead? if so, you could 'thread' the bead and tie a knot and let the bead
provide the 'anchor' to keep the string from being pulled through the bridge hole or slot.

just my 2 cents.

keep uke'in',

I think you may need two, or maybe three, loops before poking the tail through & pulling it tight.

It is not a tie on bridge, it is a slotted bridge.

As Uncle Rod said try a small bead, they can be had a craft stores. The other solution is to drill a small hole through the bridge and body and make it a string through. This is sometimes done to old Martin sopranos because the slots have become opened do to tear out and this is the only solution

...drill a small hole through the bridge and body and make it a string through.

That's what I did with one uke, and I went to a craft store and bought small rings that worked perfectly.

I use a (very) short length of thicker string to tie the thin string around ... same effect as a bead but immediately available :cool:

So, start with a simple overhand knot at the end of the thin string. This is to prevent subsequent knots slipping.

Now make a slip-knot at the end of the thin string and tighten this loop around the thick string. A drop of saliva will help all the knots tighten evenly.

Trim the thick string to 1-2mm either side of the now tightened slip knot.

Fit thin string as usual ... works every time :)

:music:

Tie a knot (maybe a double one) on the end of the string but not tight. Then poke the tail of the string through the knot(s), making a loop. Then pull it tight . . . and Voila! :eek:ld:

Several small knots do not always add up to one large knot. Here's a tutorial....someone posted one here once that showed how to tie a large knot for that purpose, perhaps someone will post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rBcbXqql0

I use a (very) short length of thicker string to tie the thin string around ... same effect as a bead but immediately available :cool:

That's an awesome idea! Might look a little sloppy on a slot bridge, but might be the only option.

Also, would work good on pin bridges. My old Islander MC-4 came with little beads to tie the string around, but my AC-4 and Kanile'a didn't. Haven't really had any problems, but the bigger piece of string would give some peace of mind.

then there's the "Timms" knot or this...:shaka:
Ashley's stopper knot.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I tried the bead trick, couldn't find the right bead. Tried the tie it around a small piece of string, couldn't get the string to stick. But the how to tie a bigger knot strategy worked, I had to tie two of them… Thanks everybody!

9mm pony beads. Amazon, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's.

Guitarists can clip and use the metal rounds of old strings.

Top Bottom