PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a planer to thickness back and sides?

Ukemakinmecrazy
06-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Seems like a good way to go, but is it risky when you are taking them down to an eighth of an inch or so?

saltytri
06-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Not all planers will go this thin. Also, planers tend to tear, particularly when cutting figured wood. This is true even if you use a spiral cutter head with sharp inserts. Better to use a thickness sander.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-08-2017, 06:37 PM
It depends on how much excitement you like in your life. As mentioned above it can destroy figured woods. OTOH, I plane all of my ebony (for fingerboards, bridges) to within a final few thousandths because it's so dense and would take forever on the thickness sander. It comes out very smooth. With koa however a planer will chip out craters.

Ukemakinmecrazy
06-09-2017, 03:19 AM
I have been using a safe t planer on my drill press and it works fine if I only take off a fairly small amount on each pass, would a regular planer work essentially the same? I bought the Dewalt planer with three blades and two speeds. One is said to be for dimensioning and the other for finishing. I am thinking use the finishing setting the whole time and take small passes.

I have a Katalox back and sides set that would probably take forever on a drum sander. Maybe I just use it for certain woods, the more dense varieties?

Jardin
06-09-2017, 04:45 AM
OK I usually do not chime in a whole lot as I am just the quiet type but I feel the need to say USE CAUTION!

Can it be done...Sure...I have pulled it off...Once (what can I say I was curious)

HOWEVER, it is way more likely to go very wrong......Imagine a few thousand toothpicks flying out of your planer looking for a home in your skin. Gee I wonder how I know this.

Just use hand-planes, drum sander or other tried and true method. Do not waste the wood and risk your well-being...It's just not worth it.

FWIW: At one point I thought I would try and speed things up so I tried the stew mac safe-t-planer and preferred using hand-planes & scrapers anyway. It was faster and better results (for me anyway)

Either way be safe and happy building