PDA

View Full Version : Sllotted headstock making

Pete Howlett
06-10-2017, 02:57 PM
I get a reuest for one of these every year and every year I shoot a new video :)

This is a simple explanation of how to cut the slots for a slotted headstock. I do not show shaping the string ramps or headstock cheeks, drilling and fitting the tuners...

With the current editing program I have I am finding it difficult to place commentary on the video so just in case you miss it, I gang drill the slotted area prior to routing to relieve the pressure on the router cutter. I use a template follower but you could also use a router cutter with a template follower bearing fitted to the shaft.

https://youtu.be/l4F1lulvHJc

mikeyb2
06-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks Pete, just watched this on your club page( having recently requested you to do so.) I came across a similar jig when I was googling, which had 2 dowels instead of the push through strip of ply. It was acknowledged as being based on your jig. I recently made one and used it successfully, although there was a lot of trial and error in getting the dowel holes perfectly aligned. I think your way is better, so I'll make another with the ply insert rather than the dowels. Great idea and much appreciated. Mike