Vorson Plastic Concert Ukulele Thoughts

bigsciota

Reaction score
Just got one recently, took a flyer on a "scratch and dent" for $20 shipped free from Amazon.

I wasn't expecting too much based off some previous threads that complained about the neck and intonation, but I figured a beater that I could maybe busk with was good enough. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find great intonation up the neck (checked with my ears and on my RTTA app), relatively low action, and a decently pleasant sound. Not super bright, a bit boxy and plunky, but if you're just looking for something to strum on the beach or around a campfire, it's more than adequate. The concert size gives good volume, and I'm excited to hit the streets and busk with it soon.

Is this worth more than $20? I'd say yes. Is it worth $100? No. But I will say that I have tried out some soprano Waterman and Dolphin/Shark ukuleles in various shops, and the intonation is much better on this ukulele.

In a couple of the older threads, I saw mention of a zero fret. There is no such thing on this uke, so perhaps they have redesigned it. I also heard some complaining about the rigidity (or lack thereof) of the neck. On mine, I can bend it slightly if I try, but it does not bend involuntarily, nor is there a pitch wobble as some have noted.

I will give the caveat that these are molded plastic, and I'm sure that quality control is not stellar for the $25-30 these go for normally. I probably got lucky, but for $20 I'm very happy.

Here is the big past thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?117178-New-Vorson-25-plastic-concert-uke

They're called Korala in Europe, stellar uke for that price and I can play on it even with my two year old in the same room. Huge plus.

Oh I have much better sounding ukes, if that's what I'm after. But for singing kids songs and letting her "help" it's awesome!

I was actually again somewhat impressed by the sound, because I did not like the other plastic ukuleles I had played. But even a cheap laminate concert will have a more ringing, natural sound to it. I wouldn't go as far as some who have said it sounds like Tupperware with strings, but it definitely sounds plastic.

But for me, that's about five or six slots down the list. Intonation is my main concern, followed by durability, and this is great on both counts. The fact that I don't mind the tone is more a side benefit.

I don't know where you are, but I have one (unblemished) you can have for actual shipping cost. I think I bought it new for about $20 bucks. It's fine for what it is.

Hey Steve-
Any idea what shipping would be to MA? Interested in trying this out if it's not too much/if you're willing :)

My friend Booli, also a member here (and introduced me to UU), has one of these Vorson, in orange...

I played it for a while and was not impressed. Neck flex and intonation were the main issues.

I could not wait to play my Flea again. Night and day difference between the Vorson and the Flea.

To each his own. If you like yours, and it serves a need, then more power to you. :)

Yeah, I wonder what the QC is like on these, because my experience does not match up with a lot of the things Booli said. He also mentions a zero fret, which mine doesn't have, making me wonder if they've changed models or something since.

Top Bottom