Contest! 80's MOBO Ukulele Throwdown

SamWise

Reaction score
So I'm tired, been working really long hours, and will continue to do so right through til June, yet nevertheless, I find myself coming home and thinking about what I can record for different people's contests. What does this tell me? Contests are awesome! So, time for me to launch my own.

Concept

You make a video of you performing a piece of music of black origin from the 1980s. I was gonna say soul, but then I thought hey, it'd be fun to hear 80's electro hip hop, R&B, you name it, so let's get wider with this. You post it here, and I judge whose is the best.

Rules

• You may enter as many times as you wish
  • Videos recorded prior to the contest launch are not eligible
  • In the video intro, you must say "It's time to THROW DOWN"!
  • You must use the ukulele significantly in the music. It could be for rhythm, or lead, but its gotta be there.
  • The song you choose must be either be by a black artist, in which case it can be of any genre, or be from a genre made popular by black artists. You don't need me to tell you which these are.
  • You must post a link to your video on this thread; I will put them all in a playlist, and add the link to this post, as per all the other contests.

Prize

The winner will receive a custom made t-shirt, or vest, or if I actually have some money at the time, a hoody (it will be your choice!). This will bear a picture of a Hawaiian hula girl, with come hither eyes, and the slogan "Hey Big Boy, what are your favourite strings?". This is an awesome prize. Essentially, it's a completely elitist shirt. Only other ukulele players will understand it at all, and even then, probably only those who frequent internet fora. Everyone else will be as confused as hell, and you'll feel cool.

Closing Date

11:59, UK time, on June 6th. Firstly that's my birthday (yay!), and secondly, the next time I'm actually going to be at my desk for any length of time will be June 10th. I'll announce the winner not later than June 13th.

Go!

I have always wanted a reason to learn Super Freak on the uke. :rock:

Thanks for putting this together.

Don't forget to tag dominic... to add it to his contest list.

These contests really are awesome. I come from the banjo world, where the thought of a 80's throw down contest would be unthinkable, unless you limited it to bluegrass. These contests challenge me to find and play songs that I would never thought of doing on my own. They have revealed an amazing collection of talent.

Maybe I'm a little behind on internet slang, but what the heck is mobo? And, do I have to actually throw something down in the video? Sorry, perhaps I'm just white.

Maybe I'm a little behind on internet slang, but what the heck is mobo? And, do I have to actually throw something down in the video? Sorry, perhaps I'm just white.

music of black origin

Yeah, Music of Black Origin. It's a horrible term that's used in an award show. And a throw-down was, amongst other things, an early term for hip-hop and breakdance "battles", so no, no need to throw anything down. In the 80's, I really only associated to black music, so it's fun for me to look back, looking at just how white I really am!

So does Michael Jackson count? :D

JJ

80's music too recent for me, I listened to 70's music. Don't know no 80's stuff. :rolleyes:

Don't forget to tag dominic... to add it to his contest list.

These contests really are awesome. I come from the banjo world, where the thought of a 80's throw down contest would be unthinkable, unless you limited it to bluegrass. These contests challenge me to find and play songs that I would never thought of doing on my own. They have revealed an amazing collection of talent.

got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a quick bump, and the suggestion that nobody cover Prince. Not that I don't wanna hear it, but he'll send his gremlins out to delete your video. I'm very excited to see the first entries!

Howlin' Hobbit, Tone Loc. Just saying.

At the moment, the t-shirt looks safe......

Is anyone planning an entry to this? Only a week and a bit to go, and I must admit, I'm a bit gutted at the lack of response. Are the rules too tight, or is the shirt just not sweet enough?

Is anyone planning an entry to this? Only a week and a bit to go, and I must admit, I'm a bit gutted at the lack of response. Are the rules too tight, or is the shirt just not sweet enough?

I think it's contest burnout. Too many going on at once.

You could be right. Quite a few came right before and after. I'll let it run, to be fair, but maybe if it gets no entrants, I'll try again at a quieter time. Be warned people, it's not my birthday ALL the time! :D

Top Bottom