PDA

View Full Version : Contest! 80's MOBO Ukulele Throwdown

SamWise
04-29-2009, 09:26 AM
So I'm tired, been working really long hours, and will continue to do so right through til June, yet nevertheless, I find myself coming home and thinking about what I can record for different people's contests. What does this tell me? Contests are awesome! So, time for me to launch my own.

Concept

You make a video of you performing a piece of music of black origin from the 1980s. I was gonna say soul, but then I thought hey, it'd be fun to hear 80's electro hip hop, R&B, you name it, so let's get wider with this. You post it here, and I judge whose is the best.

Rules

You may enter as many times as you wish
Videos recorded prior to the contest launch are not eligible
In the video intro, you must say "It's time to THROW DOWN"!
You must use the ukulele significantly in the music. It could be for rhythm, or lead, but its gotta be there.
The song you choose must be either be by a black artist, in which case it can be of any genre, or be from a genre made popular by black artists. You don't need me to tell you which these are.
You must post a link to your video on this thread; I will put them all in a playlist, and add the link to this post, as per all the other contests.

Prize

The winner will receive a custom made t-shirt, or vest, or if I actually have some money at the time, a hoody (it will be your choice!). This will bear a picture of a Hawaiian hula girl, with come hither eyes, and the slogan "Hey Big Boy, what are your favourite strings?". This is an awesome prize. Essentially, it's a completely elitist shirt. Only other ukulele players will understand it at all, and even then, probably only those who frequent internet fora. Everyone else will be as confused as hell, and you'll feel cool.

Closing Date

11:59, UK time, on June 6th. Firstly that's my birthday (yay!), and secondly, the next time I'm actually going to be at my desk for any length of time will be June 10th. I'll announce the winner not later than June 13th.

Go!

Spooner
04-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I have always wanted a reason to learn Super Freak on the uke. :rock:

Thanks for putting this together.

ukeshale
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
great contest!

Denno
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I am all up in this...and so on. ;)

Yopparai
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Don't forget to tag dominic... to add it to his contest list.

These contests really are awesome. I come from the banjo world, where the thought of a 80's throw down contest would be unthinkable, unless you limited it to bluegrass. These contests challenge me to find and play songs that I would never thought of doing on my own. They have revealed an amazing collection of talent.

Bluke
04-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Maybe I'm a little behind on internet slang, but what the heck is mobo? And, do I have to actually throw something down in the video? Sorry, perhaps I'm just white.

ukeshale
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm a little behind on internet slang, but what the heck is mobo? And, do I have to actually throw something down in the video? Sorry, perhaps I'm just white.

music of black origin

SamWise
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Yeah, Music of Black Origin. It's a horrible term that's used in an award show. And a throw-down was, amongst other things, an early term for hip-hop and breakdance "battles", so no, no need to throw anything down. In the 80's, I really only associated to black music, so it's fun for me to look back, looking at just how white I really am!

Ukulele JJ
04-30-2009, 03:46 AM
So does Michael Jackson count? :D

JJ

Ahnko Honu
04-30-2009, 04:29 AM
80's music too recent for me, I listened to 70's music. Don't know no 80's stuff. :rolleyes:

generem
04-30-2009, 04:59 AM

JJ

If MJ counts then so does Rick Ashley :biglaugh:

deach
04-30-2009, 05:01 AM
....Music of Black Origin. ...

JJ

He was originally black, so I think so.

dominicfoundthemooon
04-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Don't forget to tag dominic... to add it to his contest list.

These contests really are awesome. I come from the banjo world, where the thought of a 80's throw down contest would be unthinkable, unless you limited it to bluegrass. These contests challenge me to find and play songs that I would never thought of doing on my own. They have revealed an amazing collection of talent.

got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamWise
05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Just a quick bump, and the suggestion that nobody cover Prince. Not that I don't wanna hear it, but he'll send his gremlins out to delete your video. I'm very excited to see the first entries!

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
^^ hahaha .. get in o the 80's!!

cpatch
05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Howlin' Hobbit, Tone Loc. Just saying.

SamWise
05-08-2009, 10:54 AM
At the moment, the t-shirt looks safe......

SamWise
05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Is anyone planning an entry to this? Only a week and a bit to go, and I must admit, I'm a bit gutted at the lack of response. Are the rules too tight, or is the shirt just not sweet enough?

deach
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Is anyone planning an entry to this? Only a week and a bit to go, and I must admit, I'm a bit gutted at the lack of response. Are the rules too tight, or is the shirt just not sweet enough?

I think it's contest burnout. Too many going on at once.

SamWise
05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
You could be right. Quite a few came right before and after. I'll let it run, to be fair, but maybe if it gets no entrants, I'll try again at a quieter time. Be warned people, it's not my birthday ALL the time! :D

Pueo
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
My desire to enter the contest far exceeds my current level of talent. Besides, I really wanted to do a Prince song. I might give it a try anyways!

SamWise
05-26-2009, 01:19 PM
At this point, it looks like an easy t-shirt! Be aware, though, that Prince has Web Monkeys who trawl for videos and insist they get taken down. Seriously, search for a Prince song on Youtube - you won't find ANY.

Go Team Yam
05-29-2009, 01:47 AM
The only music I really know from the 80s is Heavy Metal and horrible new romantic stuff (I'm sooo white) so I literally can't think of what I would do for this contest :confused:

I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a week so won't have a lot of time to work on an entry (been busy with entries for the baron's contest lately being a bit of a metal fan myself!), but if you suggest a few possible artists I might get be able to russle something up tonight after work and other people might be inspired.

Hate to see a good contest go to waste.

UkuEroll
05-29-2009, 02:07 AM
At this point, it looks like an easy t-shirt! Be aware, though, that Prince has Web Monkeys who trawl for videos and insist they get taken down. Seriously, search for a Prince song on Youtube - you won't find ANY.

I'll try to have a go, seeing that theres not a lot of contestants, I'll have a better chance of winning:D

Spooner
06-06-2009, 12:55 PM
OK...well I put something quick together for this.
We just can't have a contest with no entries.
This is my first YT video...I do not do this sort of thing.
I have succumbed to the YouTube craze around here for this contest.

Problem is...it's taking forever to upload the thing! :mad:

I cancelled my first upload...since it was taking a dog's age.
It was also 1.3 gigs...so it probably wouldn't have been allowed.
I took the video and shoved it into Windows Movie maker and squashed it down some.

It's uploading now and I hope Sam allows it. I mean...you've got to have at least one submission!

Right now, I have 5 more minutes of UK time to get it posted...but i doubt that will happen given YT's slow nature.

Well....I'll post the link anyway when it's upped.

Spooner
06-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Well it says it's still being processed but I have a link now.

I'm new to all of this YouTube stuff and don't know the ways of your people. :p

A few things to note:

1) This is my first video.

2) I have an insane neighbor above me (I live in an apartment) so I had to hold back a whole lot on singing.

3) I just learned this song and wish I had some more time to do it more justice.

Anyhoo....enough of that.

I hope Sam accepts this entry.
It's YouTube's fault! I had it all done in time! :p

Well here ya go...remember...first timer here...be gentle lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvgsEKTqNs

TheWannabe90
06-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Damn I really wanted to enter lots of contests that are happening right now, but I'm in the middle of my finals... Bummer...:(

SamWise
06-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, after long deliberation, we have a winner! Spooner, your entry stood head and shoulders above anything else, and I have no hesitation in giving you the prize :p

If you'd like to let me know your size and address by PM, I'll get to work on your prize.....

Spooner
06-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, after long deliberation, we have a winner! Spooner, your entry stood head and shoulders above anything else, and I have no hesitation in giving you the prize :p

If you'd like to let me know your size and address by PM, I'll get to work on your prize.....

"You like me! You REALLY like me!"

http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/dotAsset/912693901.gif

:p

I must admit...it was really cut throat for awhile there. There was no real way to tell which way this thing would go. :p

Seriously...thank you for putting it together. It was a really cool topic in my opinion. I had fun with the song too....didnt have fun getting it converted and uploaded to YouTube though lol.

I forgot that I opened an account a year or so ago. I opened it up to comment on a friend's movie project. Imagine my surprise when it said my email addy was already in use lol.

Thanks again Sam! You're a gentleman and a scholar!

CoffeeJunkee
06-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Congrats Spooner! Awesome video!.... Oh and I subbed you, so you better keep posting videos.

Spooner
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats Spooner! Awesome video!.... Oh and I subbed you, so you better keep posting videos.

LOL...yeah I suppose I am sucked into the vortex...or wormhole now! First UAS and now this...I think I'm in too deep lol.

Thanks for the sub and compliment CJ!!! Both are very appreciated!!! :shaka:

ukeshale
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, this was a great contest but there's soooo many going on at once. Not to mention that I don't really have the ability to enter any contests anyway! congrats spooner!

PoisonDart
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I missed this thread completely till now :'(

SamWise
06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Never mind, instead, why not enter my Donkey related contest, launched today?