Ukulele on plane.?

hibiscus

Reaction score
I just gifted my friend with a sopranisimo. Will she have any problems taking it from California to Seattle? It is so tiny she could carry it or possibly fit in her suitcase. Thank you very much.

I've taken a soprano on an airplane in a UkeCrazy hard shell case (hard foam interior, canvass exterior) without any problems. It fit easily under the seat in front of me. The sopranisimo, assuming it's in a good case (more than a padded gig bag), should be fine. I think I'd feel more comfortable keeping it with me, rather than chancing it in luggage.
Mike

With such a small ukulele, it could be hidden under a jacket or sweatshirt and no staff member on the plane would ever know. I was able to bring my Sopranino Carmel with me to Florida on Spirit, and it fit in my bag...but could have been hidden easily out of view.

I travel with a tenor in a hard shell case and store it in the overhead bin.

Just went from little rock to LA and back with baritone in a gig bag. Put it in overhead. No problems. It is a Makala so would not freak if it got busted.

I travel back and froth from NY to FL and carry on my concert ukulele along with my carry-on luggage. In the overhead bin I make sure to put it on top of the other suitcases.

No need to be hiding ukes, it hasn't come that yet, thank goodness. In fact the FAA requires airlines to let you bring your uke on any domestic flight as a carry-on item (and any other instrument, so long as it conforms to normal size limits.) I bring tenors on flights all the time. Here's the FAA rule:

https://www.transportation.gov/brie...ssues-final-rule-regarding-air-travel-musical

Pity cello and stand-up bass players; if they want their instruments to fly carry-on, they have to buy them a seat! :)

I've traveled with a Flea or a Fluke in my backpack several times. I just pad it with some extra underwear/softer things around the bridge area.

I'd stick it in a good sturdy suitcase, pack clothes around it, and check it. Lot less chance of damage in my opinion. Especially one that small.

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions! She packed it in her suitcase just as mentioned in the prior post.

I have traveled often with guitars, banjos and ukuleles. I fly only one airline and have not had to check anything since 2007, when I used another airline. I have just arrives in South America for a visit and had a soprano in my carry on and a concert in a UkeCrazy semi hard case that I chose to put in a checked suitcase (much padded too by clothing) as I was up to my limit on carry on pieces. If you carry on an instrument such as these it counts as a personal piece and that leaves only one more to carry on. I spent part of one summer flying to East Africa and Madagascar and kept my uke in my carry on where it was perfectly padded and protected. Some people suggest detuning an instrument prior to flying - I no longer bother.

Just be polite and helpful with the airline folk. All will be well.
PS - I fly Delta.

Top Bottom