Amazing new HMS ukes

UkeInTW

Reaction score
Did people see some of the interesting ukes recently on HMS's Vimeo channel? Wow, there were some really amazing ones that caught my eyes and ears.

1. Koolau Archtop custom - Did not see this one making to the HMS website, so must have been sold already. Had a really unique tone. Very shimmering, like Kalei mentioned.

2. Blackbird Farallon with a new shiny sunburst finish - Wow, first one I have seen venturing from the different plain eKoa look. Looked stunning to me. Very nice mellow sounding uke, although maybe even more mellow sounding in part due to the mellow light song played by Kalei in the sound sample. But, different sounding to me than other Farallons. I like the sound.
And there was another Farallon with a soundport too that was pretty loud. Kalei called that one a monster. These sold so quickly.

3. Koolau - Torrified spruce / Myrtle - Wow, has a really great unique sound. And the woods were really nice. Very grainy for spruce and the myrtle was gorgeous. My favorite sounding uke out of all of these. I was sure tempted, but I was too slow and it went very quickly once on HMS, sp never had to decide. Sure was sweet..

Last edited:
Did people see some of the interesting ukes recently on HMS's Vimeo channel? Wow, there were some really amazing ones that caught my eyes and ears.

1. Koolau Archtop custom - Did not see this one making to the HMS website, so must have been sold already. Had a really unique tone. Very shimmering, like Kalei mentioned.

Andrew said it was sold shortly after the video went up.
It has a very nice treble, but I felt the bass end was a bit thin.

Yes, the arch top was not as deep on the low end, but had a unique shimmering sound.

My favorites were the Koolau Torrified Spruce / Myrtle and the Farallon Sunburst. I will have to put these 2 on my wish list, along with a custom Milo Spruce Wiemer that was amazing if you like deep low end.

I wouldn't have any idea who it was that purchased the Farallon sunburst tenor. Must have been someone who loves vintage tobacco bursts...

That archtop was more on the bright side but it has more overtones coming out of the oval soundhole than I have ever heard in an ukulele. Is that typical of an archtop? It almost sounds like a Banjo. The Ko'olou Torrified Spruce/Myrtle sounds fantastic.

Top Bottom