Kids Ukulele Summer Camp

Nickie

Reaction score
I'm happy to announce that TBUS is at it again. Our Library Lending Beginner workshops are coming to an end for the year.
And now, we have the Ukulele Kids Summer Camp Project. After picking the brain of a library kid's music program teacher, TBUS member Kent has put together a program for 20-25 kids at a time, ages 9-14. Our 1st class is filled! Kent put this together with amazing attention to detail, and with he, having the ability to still think like a kid, it looks like a LOT of fun. We're even going to teach some simple tablature picking.
Six local libraries (the largest ones) are participating this year. Next year we hope to extend it to more. The counties north of us are requesting the summer camps already.
I'm assisting my friend Landis, who is part of our ALF band, she is a retired teacher. All Instructors must be professional teachers, working or retired. I qualified to assist based on my work with the Library Workshops over the last three years.
It's a Monday through Friday affair, only 90 minute classes, due to kids' notoriety of a short attention span. They will even get a certificate when they graduate on Friday. I can't wait. It's even more exciting than getting a new uke, helping these kids on a road to a life of music making!

Nickie that is such a wonderful initiative, a BIG congratulations to you and everyone involved. I love what you said about "it's even more exciting than getting a new uke". I was never involved in any music programs as a youth and is it just fantastic that this is being offered to kids through the local libraries. Well done, this is so heart-warming to hear.

Nickie,

Tom and I talked a bit about this initiative this past winter when I was in Tampa for the music convention. I am thinking that an approach using play along video files may even be a good tool for the PowerPoint that you are working with. I need to look at what Tom sent me again and see if we have play along files for those songs. If we, I'll send you some stuff...or some links!

Chris

Top Bottom